Chapter 34

Chapter 34 — I Hate You

"Aaron told me he likes me,"

Better to rip the band aid off directly than going around it endlessly — Liam is not looking at Jason when he tells him this however, so he cannot guess exactly what his reaction is. And he is not planning on staying to even talk about it any further.

"Yeah, and I'm not really hungry today, so I'm just gonna–" he has already turned around and started to walk away before he can complete the sentence.

Did Liam think he can really get away like that? He doesn't know, but still it was worth trying. It doesn't take Jason long to overtake him and block his way. He holds him by his shoulders and give him a little shake.

"Just relax, okay," his voice comes out so soothingly, it both comforts and irritates Liam, "You're hyperventilating," Jason points out and that's when he even realises that he actually is.

And that his heart is beating too loud. The world is moving too fast. He should move too. To somewhere, anywhere.

He tries to walk past Jason, but the latter's hold on him won't let him.

"I'm fine," he exclaims, his voice a little loud, and then tries again in a softer manner, "I'm fine. I'm fine. I just need to go. I have... work to do,"

"Okay, but just look at me before you go,"

"Mhmm," he nods but he does nothing to lift his eyes and keeps his gaze fixed on the floor.

He can hear Jason sighing, and then he feels his hands drop from him and he is beside him now, an arm around his shoulders and he is directing him somewhere. Liam lets him without much resistance.

He brings him out of their office building and towards one of the benches located near the parking area. They sit on it, and Liam expects Jason to start burying him with questions straight away, but he doesn't. All he instead does is let out a big breath, his hand still around his shoulders.

Now, Liam looks a Jason, only a little glance. He waits for a few moments with bated breath, for Jason to start inquiring, but he never does.

At last, it is Liam who gives in — he is not known for his patience anyways. He sighs and lets his head rest on his boyfriend's shoulder.

"I know I just said I love you this morning, but honestly I hate you," he mumbles out, and Jason lets out a small laugh.

"What did I do for your hatred?"

"I think the more accurate question would be: what you didn't do?"

Another laugh.

Frowning, Liam lifts his head, and shrugs his hand off his shoulders, "Yes, do laugh," he remarks bitterly, "Because it's so funny, my situation,"

"Okay, okay," Jason raises his surrender and grimaces, "I'm sorry,"

That does not make Liam feel any better; if anything, it only makes him feel worse. Jason does not deserve him being mean towards him. He hasn't done anything really, except be honest. And that is something Liam personally requested from him, so he cannot complain now.

If there's anyone he can be angry at, it's himself. And he is angry at himself, but he is tired of being mad at himself. He just needs someone else to direct his dissatisfaction towards — he hopes Jason can understand this somehow without him having to explain.

He lets out a loud groan and covers his face with both his hands, bending over and resting his elbows on his knees. Maybe it's a little tentative, but Jason's hand appears on his back, softly rubbing him.

He turns and looks up at him, "I'm miserable,"

Jason simply nods, and Liam appreciates it. He doesn't need him to console him right now.

"Why did you have to tell me that I like Aaron too? It's all I was able to think about. I genuinely don't care that you like him, and I genuinely wouldn't care if you wanted to be with him too. I just..." it's a struggle to get the next word out, especially when he doesn't know what he's really trying to convey here.

Jason waits a beat before responding, "I'm sorry if I overstepped. It just it did seem like–,"

Liam sits up then, interrupting him midsentence, "I do like him, it turns out,"

It is unmistakable the glee spreads across Jason's face, but props to him for schooling his expression to remain passive, "Oh?"

Liam continues looking at him, expecting a very much deserved told-you-so, but it never comes. He rolls his eyes and waves his hand, "Go on, you can gloat,"

"What? No, I'm not–" he exhales sharply, "It's fine that you like him. Just please don't stress out. This does not mean we have to be in a three-way relationship, especially if it's going to make you this uncomfortable,"

That does assuage his nerves a little, "It's just this is all very new to me. Call me sheltered or ignorant but I did not know about polyamory until you told me about it. And obviously I looked it up and there's all kinds of polyamory and there can be different kinds of relationships within a different people and... it's all just very new to me," he exclaims at last.

"Oh, Liam," Jason rests a hand on his cheek, and it honestly feels so comforting to Liam that he wonders if he can build a miniature home for himself right on his palm there, "It's fine. Just... don't stress out. We can do whatever you want even if it's nothing, okay. I'm there with you,"

"Okay, fine," Liam sighs, "I love you again,"

A smile spreads across his lips and he leans closer, whispering, "Goal achieved," before capturing his lips in his.

Kissing him, it calms Liam all the way down, and by the time he opens his eyes again, he cannot even remember what he was so freaking out about — well, he can remember what it was about, but not so much why. Maybe that's what incites him to say what he says next.

"I don't want to do nothing," he admits, resting his forehead against the other man's forehead.

"Okay. What do you want to do then?"

Liam pulls back a little, wanting to properly look into his boyfriend's eyes when he admits this, and he wills himself to absolutely not regret once the words are out of his mouth, "I want to give him a try. I want us to be in a relationship together, all of us. You, me and Aaron,"

֍֍֍