Chapter 20

Chapter 20 — Waiting For Someone

"How long did you and Aaron go out?"

Liam gets straight to the point instead of beating around the bush, not seeing the point to it. He was thinking that maybe he could wait until the next day when he sees Jason again to start inquiring him but he just can't wait. He has to know now. Everything.

He needs things to make sense, if not it will certainly drive him mad.

And that is why the minute he has gotten both the kids in the bed, he picked up his phone and called Jason.

Jason lets out what sounds like a surprised cough, "I'm sorry. What?"

"You and Aaron — how long did you guys go out for?"

He sighs and Liam can imagine him pushing his hair back over his forehead, "That's– Why do you want to know?"

Liam shrugs, and only a second later realises that he can't see him, "I don't know," a second later, he decides the least he can do is be honest since Jason has been trying to be honest to him too, "I think Aaron still likes you,"

He hears a huff from the other side, followed by a small chuckle, "What?" Jason's voice sounds a little higher.

"You heard me,"

"Okay," he is still chuckling, but he doesn't tease or accuse Liam of making ridiculous assumptions. Instead, he asks, "Who told you this?"

"It's the only thing that makes sense,"

"Trust me, he doesn't,"

Liam doesn't know how he can be so sure, "What if Aaron admitted it himself,"

He hears no response for a while and he checks the screen to see if the call has been cut — it hasn't.

"Hello?"

"Um, yeah," his voice sounds very much strained now, "You talked to him about me?"

Liam is not stupid. He knows he's venturing into risky zone and thinking about it now, maybe it wasn't exactly a good idea to have talked to him about Jason. He should have cleared his doubts with Jason himself — this almost feels like going behind his back, but that is not what Liam intended at all.

His first instinct is to lie, make it look like he didn't talk to anyone and this is him just guessing but for some reason, he doesn't want to lie to Jason. He feels like he can't. And better bear the consequences now, then wait for it to build up into something big and have it blow back on him bigger.

"Yeah, I talked to him," he admits, "But it's only because I wanted to know exactly why he brought you up that morning," Liam quickly tries to defend his actions although he doubts it's an enough reason for him.

Jason doesn't say anything again for a few seconds, and when he does, Liam wishes he hadn't, "I have to go now. I'll talk to you later. Bye,"

"Ja–" but he's already cut the call before that.

It seemed better when he stayed quiet on the other end, not saying anything; now he has completely cut off the call and Liam doesn't know what he is supposed to make of it.

֍֍֍

Liam almost bites his nail off his thumb, waiting for Jason to show up. Maybe he's just running late, he tells himself but there's a good chance that he might not be coming in for work today as well.

Jason hasn't responded to any of his texts since the previous night after the call and hasn't attended any of his calls either. So, truly Liam has no clue what must be going through the man's mind right then.