CH.4. SCATTERED THOUGHTS

" Here"

Evi handed Yudhishthir the pot which was already full with rice, vegetables and fruits.

" Looks like she has atlast learned how to speak to her elders" Arjun joked while slapping Bheem on his back. ' Don't you agree Bhrata?"

Bheem was still annoyed. He still couldn't shake off the feeling that Evi was someone dangerous.

" Arjun, stop joking around. Let's go back and give this to Mata. Nakul, Sahadev, stay with Devika. And don't let her get lost again" Yudhishthir ordered and left the place.

Evi felt a bit irritated. Why was Yudhishthir being so cold? Not a single thank you? Not even an acknowledging nod? This is not what she had imagined Yudhishthir to be like.

She sighed and went on to wash her clothes. The less she spoke, the less she interacted, the better will be everybody's mood.

Nakul and Sahadev nervously fidgeted between the two. They too didn't expect their oldest brother to act this way. The person who would thank even lesser deeds, didn't even show his gratitude towards the woman who solved their food scarcity, how was that possible? They looked at each other and realised the other was thinking the same thing. Both decided with no words exchanged, to go and show their gratefulness towards Evi by themselves.

Evi was getting wet washing her vest and army clothes in the river. The water around her was starting to turn a faint hue of red from all the dried blood which made her annoyed. She stood up, folded her newly gifted white drapery upto her knees and then resumed her work, which made Nakul and Sahadev stop dead at their tracks.

" Wha- what are you doing?" Nakul stammered as both the twins flushed red.

" What?" Evi looked back towards them in confusion. Tracing their gazes she realised that they were indicating to her exposed calves and thigh. " I don't want to soil this cloth. Its pure white and the blood from my clothes may stain it"

" Ri-right.." Nakul and Sahadev covered their eyes and turned back.

"..." Evi sighed at their childish behaviour. When was the last time someone was flustered around her?

" Did you two have something to say to me?" Evi asked while continuing wringing out her clothes.

" Yes.. I mean.." Nakul again stuttered which made Sahadev facepalm himself.

" We wanted to thank you for the Akshaya Patra, Devika" Sahadev said it himself which left Nakul in a defeated look.

" Ah, its fine" Evi answered." You all helped me a lot. I understand how difficult I must have been to look after, especially after I tried to harm you constantly" Evi gave out a half hearted laughed." Who else, if not the mighty Pandavas, would be so kind to save a woman like me?" She joked making the twins smile too. She knew she needed to get along with them for now, until she can meet Krishna again.

---------------------------------

As the night engulfed the forest, the five pandavas lit up a fire and sat around it in a circle along with their mother. Evi looked around and searched up three long enough sticks among the pile of wood that Bheem had been collecting for the fire and used it to create a hanger for her clothes. Carefully placing her clothes near enough to the fire, she left the group and sat at under the nearest tree to rest.

" Putri you can sit with us for dinner if you like" Kunti invited Evi to join them but she just shook her head.

" I am very tired after so many things happened today.... I just want to sleep now. I will eat tomorrow after waking up" she let out a breath and leaned onto the tree. Looking up she noticed the twinkling stars filling up the cloudless sky.