CH.12. CURSE

The Kauravas had to travel just one more day to reach Panchal.

After Evi had saved the younger Kaurava, Duryodhan had his doubts removed to a significant amount. But what cemented his belief in Evi was the fight he overheard.

Evi, who was unknown to the spying going on her, spent most of her time with Dussashan and his maids, playing cards and the infamous pasha.

"I win again" Evi declared as it was her 5th win in a row. "You loose your necklace too"

"WHAT! Nooo.... This was given by Maitreyi"

" You took such an expensive jewellery from her?" Evi asked, making Duryodhan and Karna, who were working in a corner, sigh.

"She's the one who gave it to me. I never asked for anything" Dussashan whined as Evi laughed off his embarrassment.

This was what she missed with the Pandavas. Or atleast with the older two. Here, without ACTUAL humans, she felt more at peace. Unless, her 'fiance' would interfere.

" MY FIANCEÉ" Evi heard Krishna enter and hop onto her unabashedly.

"WOAH- GET OFF ME" She pushed him back while crawling a bit further up on the cushion.

The other three men greeted him while fidgeting whether they should give the two their space or act like nothing happened.

"Is there anything you need?" Duryodhan's eyebrows knitted in confusion. Krishna wasn't usually a frequent visitor of the tent.

"The tents are going to be put away now. Pack your bags up"

Evi groaned as she would soon need to accompany Krishna on his chariot. Maybe making him call her his fianceé was not a good idea.

Evi sighed, probably for the hundredth time in the past minute, making Dussashan riled up.

"Let's go and take a walk. I cannot physically handle you sighing anymore" Dussashan walked out of the camp, clearly disregarding the fact that he owned Evi most of his jewelleries that he had lost in the game.

The duo walked out of the camp onto the vast fields that covered till the horizon. Duryodhan and Karna too followed while taking out their horses to feed.

Evi looked around, kicking pebbles and chatting with Dussashan just when a guttering noise left her stomach.

"How can you be still that hungry?" Dussashan mocked.

"Well, I have been vomiting out almost everything that I am eating" Evi was getting concerned for her health. Anything other than fruits and the food from the Patra was indigestible for her. It was too toxic or too refined. "Hey look, there's a fruit!"

Evi pointed at a sole tree in the middle of the field, with just one fruit hanging from it.

"Its colour doesn't really feel safe" Dussashan pointed out the weird purple colour the fruit had.

Evi inspected the fruit for poison but didn't find any. Even if it was, her body would automatically puke it out so she plucked it and took a bite. The taste was ethereal to say the least. It was as if Gods had moulded the tastiest of fruits and grew it on the tree. She gave it to Dussashan for a taste who had the same visceral reaction.

They both started fighting over the fruit just when they heard a loud angry gasp from behind.

"HOW DARE YOU, YOU INSOLENT CREATURES?"

The duo looked back, their mouth still full with bites of the fruit, towards a Brahmin whose ribs were almost poking out of his chest.

"Excuse me?" Dussashan's offended tone made Evi tense up too as she didn't want a fight to occur.