Chapter 2: "You can tell me"

It is now Sunday and I’m dreading going to school tomorrow. As if my problems weren’t enough, I could hear my parents screaming at each other in the living room. They were so loud not even my headphones could cover their voices.

After an hour of hearing them yelling I grabbed my jacket and headphones and left through the back door, I had to get away. I walked to a park, about fifteen minutes away. It was 10 at night so it was just me and a person sitting at a bench. I laid on the grass and started at the stars. I wanted to cry, to let it all out. I’ve never felt so stressed and overwhelmed before, I took my headphones off and closed my eyes.

-“Are you ok?” A familiar voice asked and I opened my eyes, her accent was more noticeable.

I shrugged, I couldn’t answer, I was on the verge of breaking down and I didn’t have the strength to lie, but I didn’t want to tell her the truth either. I eyed her carefully, she seemed sad.

-“Shouldn’t you be at home? You have school tomorrow , plus it’s dangerous to be out here on your own” She said concerned and I sighed.

-“I know” I said and closed my eyes, I didn’t want to talk or interact with people, but I didn’t want her to leave  either. She sat down next to me and I turned to look at her.

-“What’s bothering you?”

-“Nothing” I said slightly annoyed. Can’t she take the hint that I don’t want to talk about it?

-“Stressed?” She asked and I nodded. She then said something but I didn’t hear it so I just nodded hoping it wasn’t a question.

-“And what are you doing here so late?” My curiosity got the best of me.

-“I needed to clear my head” She shrugged but her tone was off. My phone rang and it was my dad.

-“WHERE ARE YOU?” He yelled, great, now I’m the one he’s going to lash out to.

-“At the park, went for a walk”

-“WITHOUT SAYING ANYTHING?”

-“I’m sorry, I didn’t want to interrupt your yelling match”

-“FUCK YOU EMMA” He yelled and hung up, I sighed and she turned to look at me.  

-“It was my dad”

-“Oh, is everything ok? He sounded mad”

-“He was, my parents were fighting”

-“Oh, do you want to talk about it?” She gave me a small smile and I did the same.

-“No thanks, I don’t like to talk about these things”

-“You don’t like to talk in general” She joked and I gave her a smile.

-“Maybe”

We sat in silence for a little longer before deciding it was late.  

-“Goodnight Emma”

-“Goodnight Ms. Miller”

When I went home my parents were sleeping. I set my alarm and went to sleep.

The next day when I woke up and it was raining. Great I was going to get drenched going to school. I wore a pair of black jeans, a t-shirt and a raincoat. I put my books in a plastic bag and then put them in my backpack, I then put the box with my hearing aids in a plastic zip lock bag in my backpack. I wore my headphones and lifted my hood up, I grabbed my umbrella and made my way towards the school. I got there ten minutes earlier and went in my locker. I took my books out of my backpack and took off the raincoat.