Chapter 31: "My Alex"

I woke up the next morning to the sound of her alarm clock.

-“Good morning love” I told her.

-“Morning sunshine” She pecked my lips. “How did you sleep?”

-“Great, you?”

-“Me too, any nightmares?”

-“No baby, I guess you are my dream catcher” I told her and she smiled and caressed my cheek.

We got ready and went to school. I stayed with Alex for the rest of the week, she gave me the number of the therapist she was seeing and I scheduled an appointment. I didn’t have a single nightmare the entire week I was with her. I went home to my mum for the weekend and I’m expecting to hear back from college soon.

We were sitting with my mum in the living room, watching tv, Alex had dropped me off at my house earlier today.

-“I missed you monkey”

-“Same mum, I forgot to tell you, I scheduled an appointment with a therapist, for Monday”

-“That’s great Emma” She said with excitement.

-“We’ll see”

She made us fish with potatoes in the oven, but after Alex’s cooking, my mum’s didn’t seem as great.

-“Don’t you like the food?”

-“It’s fine”

-“What is it? Spill it” She said playfully and I smiled.

-“Alex is a better cook than you” She pretended to be offended.

-“You should invite her to dinner some time, maybe she can bring something over so I can see for myself” She raised an eyebrow and I laughed.

-“Sure mum”

I spent the rest of the day with my mum, we watched tv, talked, and went for a walk.

At night I woke up from a nightmare again. My heart was racing and I was sweating. My door opened and my mum walked into the room.

-“Emma, are you ok?”

-“Yeah?” I asked confused

-“You were yelling” I haven’t told he’d about the nightmares, I didn’t want her to know and worry even more.

-“It was a nightmare mum” She sat on the bed next to me and caressed my head.

-“Was it about your dad?” I nodded. “Have you had one before?”

-“Yes, a lot of them actually”

-“For how long?”

-“Since the day it happened, I had one every night, except this week, that I was with Alex”

-“Aw, monkey, you should have told me” I shrugged and she lay next to me. I hugged her and fell asleep again.

I spent most of my Sunday studying for school and once I was done I watched a movie with my mum and went to sleep.

As expected, I woke up in the middle of the night from a nightmare. I managed to get a few more hours of sleep before it was time for school.

On Monday and Tuesday, everything went smoothly. On Wednesday I heard back from college, but I didn’t say anything to anyone. My mum asked me to invite Alex to eat with us on Saturday and I decided that I would tell them then. I will tell my friends at some point too.

School was exhausting, the temperature was rising and it was impossible to walk back home under the sun. My friends still haven’t heard back from the colleges they applied to, and they were nervous wrecks. Rachel was studying her ass off and Marcus was always busy with soccer practices.