Chapter 24: "The car ride"

The past week has been nothing but exhausting, I have barely talked to Alex and I haven’t stopped studying, I haven’t slept properly all week and I’ve basically been living off of coffee and energy drinks.

It is now Friday and she’s picking me up in half an hour from my house. She still hasn’t told me what she has planned for the break, only that she would be taking me out of town and that we would be leaving today.

I was excited to spend time with her, but I was even more excited to leave this shithole I call home. My dad was pretending to be nice but I’ve caught him clenching his fists multiple times. Living with him is too stressful, I’m terrified that one day he’ll snap and beat me to death.

I made sure I had everything with me and paced anxiously around my room waiting for her. My eyes were hurting from the lack of sleep and my back was hurting too. My phone rang and I basically flew out of the house. But she wasn’t there.

-“Bitch come on, what are you looking at?” Rachel yelled and I felt my heart sinking. I approached her and she put my suitcase in her car. “Bitch, don’t get so excited” She mocked me and I rolled my eyes at her.

-“What’s going on?”

-“I’ll take you to her house and she’ll explain”

Marcus was sitting in the backseat, I greeted him and sat at the front with Rachel. I couldn’t help but wonder why she wasn’t the one picking me up. Did someone find out about us?

When we got to her house I jumped out of the car and run to her door. She opened it and I jumped in her hug.

-“You are going to knock me down.” She chuckled. “Is everything ok?”

-“I missed you”

-“Awww, I missed you too babyyy” She pecked my lips and I heard my friends groaning behind us. “I told Rachel to pick you up so we wouldn’t raise any suspicions”

-“Smart”

-“Oh, I also invited them to come with us, I assume you don’t mind, right?” I hugged her even tighter. A getaway with my girlfriend and my best friends sounded like a dream.

-“Let’s load the suitcases in my car, so we can get going soon” Alex said. I tried helping them load the car but I was useless, I was so tired I could barely stand. We got in the car and she started driving.

-“So, where are we going?” I asked

-“It’s a surprise”

-“Are you kidnapping us Alex?”

-“Yes Emma, I am. And I’m keeping you tied in my basement” She let out a cute chuckle.

-“You two are so cute” Rachel said “it’s disgusting” she added causing us to laugh.

Alex put girl in red on the radio and I was struggling to keep my eyes open, I was too tired, but I didn’t want to sleep. I let out a heavy sigh and leaned my head against the window.

-“Babe, are you ok?” She asked in a worried tone.

-“Yes, can we stop for coffee?” We stopped at a red light and she turned to look at me. She studied my face and frowned.

-“I don’t think that’s a good idea”

-“But I’m going to fall asleep otherwise”

-“Yeah… I think you should get some sleep Emma, you look exhausted.”

-“I’m fineee” I tried to play it off.

-“Your eyes are bloodshot Ems” Rachel added from the back. “And I know that you haven’t slept properly all week. I’m with Alexandra on this one”