Chapter 23: "Let's talk"

On Monday I couldn’t pay attention to any of my classes, all I could think about was how my life was going to go from now on. I didn’t want to move back in with my dad, I couldn’t. I didn’t even talk to Alex, I felt her eyes on me, but I wasn’t in the mood to talk, I just wanted to lock myself in my room and never come out again. My friends tried talking to me as well.

When I got home I dropped myself on the bed. I stayed in bed until the next day.

The be rang and my dad walked into the living room. I was sitting on a couch, he say on the armchair and my mum sat next to me.

-“I didn’t know she would be here too”

-“She is your daughter and a part of the family, what did you expect?” He rolled his eyes.

-“I’m sorry, Mary, you know I love you right? I realize the mistakes I’ve made and I want to try to become a better person”

-“You said the same thing the last time we talked about a divorce”

-“I know, I’m sorry, I should have done something earlier, but I’m struggling mentally. Please give me one more chance, I realize I have a problem with both alcohol and violence, but I can’t get better on my own, I need your help.” I rolled my eyes, I knew he was lying.

He is always lying.

-“I don’t know” My mum shook her head.

-“Please, I’m trying to change” He said and I scoffed. He shot me a death glare. “What’s your problem?” he hissed.

-“You say you want to change and make things better, but you can’t, you can’t undo the damage you’ve already done” He clenched his jaw and fist.

-“Emma, stop talking and listen to your dad” She said and I felt anger and sadness rising. She was going back to him.

By the end of their talk she was convinced to give him another chance and even agreed to move back home. I went into my room, I felt completely defeated. My friends tried texting and calling me and so did Alex, but I didn’t answer.

An hour later I heard the doorbell ringing. Moments after there was a knock on my door.

-“Yes?”

The door opened and Alex was standing there with a worried look on her face. I let out a heavy breath and laid back down, she closed the door and sat next to me on the bed.

-“I was worried” I nodded, I wonder what she told my mum. She lay next to me and hugged me. It felt nice having her here.

-“Are you sick?” She asked and I shook my head no.

The doorbell rang and once again there was a knock on my door. She quickly stood up and straightened her clothes.

-“Yes?”

Rachel and Marcus barged in rushing to my side so fast that they didn’t notice her standing across the room. They sat on the bed and that’s when they saw her.

-“Okay, I have way too many questions” Rachel said.

-“I don’t feel like talking”

-“We noticed” she added. Alex joined them on the bed and they sat with me for a while. I couldn’t stand sitting in silence with three people looking at me, it was hella awkward.

-“You didn’t have to come, I’m okay” Rachel scoffed.

-“You barely talked to us and you ignored our texts and calls. Yesterday you didn’t pay attention to anything at school and today you didn’t even show up.”

-“Yeah bro, you can’t blame us for being worried” Marcus added and they turned to look at Alex.

-“I was worried too”

-“I’m sorry I made you worry. I just don’t feel like talking, I don’t feel like doing anything”

-“What happened?” Alex asked, putting her hand on my leg. They were expecting me to say something and I knew I couldn’t escape it.

-“My parents are getting back together, my mum is moving back in with my dad”. Rachel took my hand in hers and Marcus placed his, on my shoulder.

-“Are you serious?” Alex raised her voice and I nodded. “Fuck” She cursed under her breath and my friends looked at her amused. “You can’t go back there Emma” She said.

-“You can come stay with me for as long as you want” Rachel said and I shook my head no.

-“No, I can’t stay with you Rachel, your parents are going to get fed up. I’ll just go back home I guess”

-“Why don’t you stay with Ms. M?” Marcus said catching all of us by surprise.

-“I-I don’t think that’s a good idea” I mumbled and looked at Alex, who seemed disappointed by my response.

-“I don’t mind” She shrugged “It’s better than going back to your dad”

-“Of course, you don’t mind” Rachel added and rolled her eyes.

-“What’s that supposed to mean?” Alex asked annoyed.

-“Nothing, but I would also be glad to have my girlfriend staying with me” Rachel spat looking at me.

-“We are not together” I said and Rach scoffed.

-“Bro, she’s in your room, sitting on your bed, because she was worried about you. Do think we are that stupid?” Marcus chuckled.

-“Alright, yes, we are seeing each other” She admitted catching me by surprise. I sat up on the bed and looked at her shocked.

-“I knew it” Rachel exclaimed.

-“Did you just admit to them we are dating?”

-“Come on Em, what’s the point of hiding it, they are not stupid” She gave me a small smile and I moved closer to her and hugged her.

-“Bitch, fuck off” Rachel told me playfully. “How long has this been going on?”

-“It’s a long story”

-“So you finally got in her pants” Marcus wiggled his eyebrows playfully and Alex hid her face in her hands.

-“Shut up Marcus” I slapped his arm and Alex looked up, there was a blush across her face and she looked adorable.

I told my friends everything and they kept making inappropriate jokes, causing her to blush even more. By the end of it, she was red as a tomato.

-“I can’t believe you” Marcus said

-“I think we should stop talking about it, she seems a little uncomfortable” Rachel remarked and I chuckled at the sight of Alex, she looked so embarrassed. I tried to peck her lips but she didn’t let me.

-“Not in front of your friends”

-“So, I assume Emma isn’t calling you Ms. Miller” Rachel spoke again.

-“No she isn’t” She smiled “My name is Alexandra”

-“But I call her Alex”

-“That’s so cuteee” Rach squealed.

We talked for a little longer until it was time to go, we decided that I would stay at home, and if anything happened I would go to Alex’s house. She didn’t exactly agree to it, she wanted me to come to her house immediately, but that wasn’t an option.

We spent the next few days packing up and by the end of the week, we had already moved in again. I hated that I had to live with my dad, but at least I got my room back.

Spring break was in one week and I couldn’t be happier, since I would probably spend it with Alex.

However, that meant that next week we would be swamped with tests and homework. They had already told us to study for a few of them but they mentioned that there might be quizzes as well.