chapter 10

Friday, May 19th

I am on campus, about to meet BK for lunch.

BK: hey babe.

He says while taking his seat on the chair in front of me.

Me: hey.

I can't break up with him. I won't break up with him, what happened between Kgotso and I was wrong and should never happen again. I am his daughters best friend for crying out loud!

BK: earth to Nandi.
Me: oh eish, I'm sorry. I just have a lot on my mind.

I feel a tap on my shoulder and I look behind me. I am met with my best friend and an overwhelming feeling of guilt overcomes me so I start crying.

BK: Nandi, what's going on?

They help me sit and BK kneels in front of me.

BK: speak to me, please.

I open my mouth to speak but it seems that I can't get anything out.

Mpho: what's wrong, bae?
BK: please calm down and then tell us what's going on.
Mpho: what did you do to her?!
BK: I did nothing, dude.
Mpho: then why is she crying?!
BK: I have no idea, don't shout at me.
Mpho: if you are the one who made her cry then I'll do more than just shout at you.
BK: who do you think you are?
Mpho: someone who can ruin you.
BK: I can ruin you faster than you can ruin me.

Watch these rich kids speak. I can't help but laugh.

Me: Mampho, can I please speak to you?
Mpho: sure.
Me: in private.
Mpho: you heard her so bounce.

BK gives me a peck on the lips and wipes my tears away before walking away.

Me: while you were away, something happened...

I want to tell her everything that happened but I can't.

Me: I-
Mpho: you what?

Am I really about to ruin our friendship over this?

Me: I realised that I'm home sick so I'm going home for a little while, maybe the next three days will be fine.
Mpho: of course, take all the time you need.

We talk about my little lie for a while before we head to our next lecture. Maybe I should go home. I am not running away, I just really need a break.

19:45
I just finished packing because I'm leaving tomorrow morning. I will request a ride back home tomorrow morning.

As I settle on my bed, I get a text from Kgotso saying...

"So are you really going to run away from this?"

I read it and leave him on seen. A few seconds later, I hear a knock on my door so I open it. That is quite odd though because no one can enter without me letting the security know that they are actually my guest. Also, I am not expecting anyone.

I open the door and before me, stands my best friends father.

Me: Kgotso.
Kgotso: Nandi, come with me.

I'm only wearing sweatpants and a bodysuit so I just quickly wear a hoodie, I also wear my cute black novelty winter slippers and follow him. We get to his car and we get inside.

Kgotso: why are you doing this?
Me: what?
Kgotso: do you think running away will erase what we have?

I get out of the car and he pulls me gently by my arm. I make eye contact with him and he leans in but I quickly get out of the car. He gets out and before I can even attempt to run up the stairs...

Kgotso: tell me you don't want me!
Me: Kgotso, this is wrong.

I say looking back at him and looking up too because this guy is tall and I'm only 4'9. He is probably around 6'1.

Me: you are my best friends father, what will people say? I can't do this, I'm sorry.

He nods, looking absolutely shattered and I honestly feel the same way.

Kgotso: can you at least please stay in contact?

I nod and the wind blows, my hair is blow with it. The night sky also looks good, this feels like a scene right out of the movies.

Me: bye.

I say while holding back tears.

Kgotso: bye.

I run to my room and burst out in tears.