chapter 24

20:15

There is a constant rough knock on the door.

Mpho: Nandi! NANDI! OPEN THIS DOOR!

She sounds like she's crying too. I run and open the door and she falls into my arms and continues crying. I look at our head of security, Sabelo and he looks back at me with a concerning look.

Sabelo: miss Nandi, Kgotso got into an accident.
Me: no! where?!

I cry as I comfort Mampho.

Sabelo: we don't know, ma'am. we received a phone call from the police that are at that scene.
Me: please drive us there.
Sabelo: ma'am...
Me: now, Sabelo.

I grab a throwover for Mampho and a bottle of water, she is hysterical. Sabelo is driving and this honestly seems like the longest drive ever.

I can't imagine what I'd do if something actually happens to him. The last conversation we had, I chased him out of the house. Kgotso can't leave me with this as our last memory. This can't be our end. I love this man with my whole being.

We finally get to the scene and everything seems as if it's okay. They are checking him for any injuries.

Paramedics: sir, what you are experiencing is muscle pain. we will take you to the hospital with us where we will treat that and what you can do for us is make sure that you exercise your shoulder but stay away from anything that will add too much pressure on it.

I run over to him and hug him while crying, hysterically.

Me: promise to never leave me.
Kgotso: I will never leave you.

He says giving me a kiss. Mampho joins in our hug and we both try and calm her down.

Mpho: I'm sorry, papa.
Kgotso: it's okay, my baby.

He gives her a peck on her forehead and she giggles.

Mpho: I'm sorry, Nandi.
Me: it's okay, love. I am also sorry for calling you a brat.
Mpho: wait, you never called me a brat.

I clear my throat as I remember that I said that to Kgotso and not to Mampho's face.