chapter 33

Sunday, 24 December

Because someone is very pregnant, she needs a holiday, what about that?

But Kgotso is working so we're home, we will be leaving in few days though.

Anyway, I walk downstairs and find a very excited Sabelo, our head of security and my troublesome husband filling an inflatable swimming pool with water in my living room.

Me: what's going on here?
Kgotso: oh, baby. we are filling this inflatable pool with water.

Sabelo laughs at my sweet idiot.

Me: I get that, Kgotso Brandon Mokoena. but why?

His smile fades away and he looks absolutely defeated. I'd laugh, if I wasn't angry for no reason.

Kgotso: baby, you said that you wanted a water birth so I thought that we should practice that.
Me: oh, that's beautiful.
Sabelo: thank you, it was my idea.
Me: it's a brilliant idea, except for the fact that there's a hose pipe running from the yard into the living room and that the floors are wet.
Kgotso: but baby, I thought you'd love this.
Me: Kgotso, no. I love you but right now, you and Sabelo are testing me. Listen, I'm 6 months pregnant, carrying your big headed baby. I have hardly had any sleep, I'm fatigued and I have had to use the bathroom 20 times in the past two and a half hours. And how dare you wet my floor.
Kgotso: I told Sabelo to not turn the tap on before I send him a signal.
Sabelo: but boss, you didn't say that.
Me: I don't care who said what. I'm going upstairs and when I come down here, this better be cleaned and this pool out of here. Am I clear?

Sabelo nods but Kgotso just looks at me.

Me: am I clear, Koena.
Kgotso: but baby...
Me: Kgotso hle, don't make me lose my patience.
Kgotso: fine.