chapter 12

Sunday, May 21st

I wake up early, take a bath and I wear a solid dark blue winter set and white novelty slippers. I wear those blue heart  beanies with light and dark blue hearts.

I go to the kitchen where I help my mother prepare breakfast.

Mom: nana, how is school?
Me: school is fine, ma.
Mom: okay, my baby. oh, I forgot to tell you. Nomalanga, you remember her?
Me: Nomalanga from down the street?
Mom: yes, that one.
Me: what happened?
Mom: nana, her mom sent her to UP. she is back and she is pregnant. her sugar daddies pass this house maybe even five times a week.
Me: you lie!
Mom: I'm telling you. my baby, you must study and stay focused on your books. boys bring nothing but babies and heartbreak.
Dad: listen to your mother, my nana.

My dad says as he walks into the kitchen.

Me: I will, baba.

My brother also comes down and we have breakfast as a family. After that, my dad and bother go out. Mom and I stay behind. She is doing all the cleaning today, she says that her children need to rest so that we can bring her back distinctions.

Around lunch time, my dad and my brother return. After they take their seats, there's a knock at the door.

Some sexy man with a bit of grey hair here and there walks in.

Him: good day, ma.

He says to my mother as she opens the door. He comes in and greets everyone else. This man looks, smells and gives off EXPENSIVE!

Him: I am Bhekisizwe Mkhonto, Mampho's uncle. Mampho actually hasn't been okay lately, these past few days have been extremely horrible for her. she doesn't eat, she hasn't spoken to anyone and she never leaves her room.
Me: what?!
Him: yes, that is why I am here. I was asked by her father to fetch you because you are truly our last resort. we have tried everything and we have failed.
Me: let me go pack right away.

I run upstairs and pack everything that I have taken out of my bags. I get back downstairs and we all say our goodbyes.

Mom: don't forget to call when you get there.
Me: I won't, ma.

Bhekisizwe and I get in the car. We wave goodbye and off we go. After an hour and a half of him driving, I finally ask...

Me: where are we going?
Bheki: baecation.
Me: what?! you said Mampho...
Bheki: I lied.
Me: who are you?! why are you doing this?!
Bheki: relax, mama. I am Kgotso's friend and Kgotso sent me to fetch you because he knew you wouldn't agree to come with him.
Me: Bheki?!
Bheki: mama.

This one is so Zulu, even the way he speaks. Even the "mama" is from deep Natal. You can tell that his umbilical cord is buried in some kraal up in the mountains of KwaZulu-Natal. He even has a sphandla.

Bheki: mama, I'm going to need to you to calm down. Kgotso has fallen for you and I personally, want to see my friend happy.
Me: it's not that easy. it's not that simple, Bheki.
Bheki: then speak to me.

I thoroughly explain the situation to him and he looks at me for a second, in pure shock.

Bheki: sounds like you have a sticky situation on your hands.
Me: it's really sticky.
Bheki: you'll work it out. as for Mampho, you will cross that bridge when you get to it. a soulmate is a soulmate.

This man really believes that Kgotso is my soulmate? Don't get me wrong, I genuinely like Kgotso but what in the actually oompa loompa?

We stop after hours of driving.

Bheki: let's get you fed.
Me: I'm sleepy, I'll just stay in the car.

He nods and gets out of the car. While he's gone, I get a text from Kgotso...

Kgotso: I'm sorry?

I just blue tick him because why didn't he tell me. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to be with him but he could have done this differently.

After a while, Bheki comes back with some Steers and I start chowing the chips. Only the chips, I can't really eat in the car.

Bheki: are you already full?
Me: yeah.
Bheki: oh alright.
Me: so who is your girlfriend and are also doing this to her?
Bheki: I'm actually married, I have been married for years now.

He then continues telling me all about his love story, the love of his life and their infertility issue. It's really sad but this is life, man.