chapter 34

Monday, 25 December

I'm woken up by my beautiful man kissing and rubbing my belly. He even unbuttoned my pajama shirt. I look at him and I start playing with his hair. He has a fade btw, not taper.

He kisses my belly one more time before kissing me. I smile at him and look deep in his eyes.

Kgotso: merry christmas, baby.
Me: merry christmas, daddy.

We make the bed, take a shower and get dressed for the day. We are wearing matching christmas t-shirts. He pairs it with white jeans and I pair mine with a long, body hugging white skirt. I'm also wearing white, fluffy slippers.

We walk downstairs, hand in hand. Our guests are already here. Bhekisisa, Zazi, Bhekisizwe and his wife, Phozisa, Shaka and Amukelani as well. Mampho is still upstairs, getting ready. The oldies are at my mom's house, celebrating together with their grandchildren. We'll all be together tomorrow.

Kgotso: hey!

He says, while approaching his friends and the girls run to me and attack me with the most comforting hug. They then pull me to the kitchen.

Zisa: how are you doing, baby?
Me: I'm tired, I'm always tired.
Zazi: I'm happy for you though.
Me: thank you.

Zisa looks down and I hold her hand.

Me: I'm sorry.
Zisa: it's okay, it's not your fault that I can't have kids.

Tears escape my eyes and Zisa's eyes too. Before we know it, we're all crying.

Me: it's not your fault either.
Zisa: that's not what Bheki and his family think.
Me: it's what we think so that's all that matters.

Mampho walks in.

Mpho: mama, I can't find my dress!
Me: you have main character syndrome ne?
Mpho: come on, mommy.
Kgotso: mommy, help Mampho, please.
Me: fine.

The girls laugh and I head upstairs to help this child. Mampho really has main character syndrome, since when does she call me "mommy"?

Anyway, I take out a skirt, that looks like mine and a t-shirt that looks like mine too.

Me: wear this, my daughter.
Mpho: thank you, my mother.

I head downstairs and we dish up for lunch. I'm so lucky that the ladies brought food, I wouldn't have been able to cook.

After dishing up, we all sit down for our lunch. We then eat, whilst chatting here and there.

Bhekisisa: mother, daughter and father are matching today.

He says and the whole table bursts into fits of laughter.

Zazi: this deserves a family photo.
Amu: and when did Nandi become "mommy"
Mpho: when she fell pregnant with my baby sibling.
Bhekisisa: haha, to go is to see.
Zisa: you guys deserve a reality show.
Bhekisisa: true, your home life is a while soap opera.

We continue to eat over light conversations and jokes. After eating, we tidy up and join the boys. Mampho stands up...

Kgotso: where are you going?
Mpho: I'm just quickly going to a friend's house.
Kgotso: no.
Mpho: but dad...
Kgotso: no.
Mpho: so the fact that I'm sitting here with married couples is okay with you.
Kgotso: Mampho.

She storms off and goes to her room. Kgotso attempts to stand up but I stop him.

Me: I'll talk to her.

I get upstairs and head to Kgotso's room to grab his car keys before heading to Mampho's room. I hand the keys to her.

Me: go see your man.
Mpho: my man?
Me: come on, a friend, which one? I was your only friend.

She giggles.

Mpho: still are. thank you!

She attacks me with a hug.

Me: now, go. I still have to soften up that big headed man.

She runs out and I head to the living room. As I take my seat, the sound of a beastly engine starting makes Kgotso stand up.

Kgotso: where is Mampho?

I hold his arm before pulling him to sit down.

Me: she's going out. she'll be right back?
Kgotso: on whose approval and whose car?
Me: baby, can I just please talk to you in private?

I lead the way and he follows me to the bedroom.

Me: let's give her a break and cut her some slack, please?
Kgotso: I'm not happy about this, mommy.
Me: I know, baby. however...

I wrap my little arms around his waist and look up at him.

Me: she needs this so please trust me. mmm?

He gives me a peck and that one leads to another and that one leads to another one.

Me: is that a yes?

I say in a low and seductive tone.

Kgotso: fine.
Me: thank you, daddy. now, let's go down to our guests.

He walks out first but comes back.

Kgotso: aren't you coming?
Me: I am, I just need to touch up my make up.
Kgotso: you know I love the natural Nandi, right?
Me: more than anything in the world.
Kgotso: I love you.
Me: I love you.

He walks out and I touch up my blush and my lipstick before Bhekisizwe comes into the room and closes the door.

Me: Bheki?
Bheki: mama.
Me: what are you doing here?
Bheki: I try all the time to ignore it but I want you.
Me: what?!
Bheki: I crave you, all the time. I just want a taste of your beautiful skin.

He comes closer and looks into my eyes, before holding my waist and pulling me close. He looks at me seductively and keeps talking...

Bheki: just once, please.
Me: no!
Bheki: I need you.

I look at him and there are tears in his eyes.

Bheki: I need you, mama.

He then kisses me. And for a moment, I go with it. But then I realise...

Me: no!
Bheki: mama.
Me: get out!

Kgotso walks in and looks at me.

Kgotso: why are you throwing him out?
Me: get out, Bheki! get out!
Kgotso: why is there lipstick on his lips?

Bheki walks out and Kgotso looks at me.

Kgotso: what's going on here?
Me: Bheki. he...

I pause as I fail to gather my words.

Kgotso: what did Bheki do?
Me: he...
Kgotso: he what?
Me: uhm, he...
Kgotso: Nandi!
Me: he kissed me!

And before I know it, Kgotso storms out. I follow him but he's walking too fast. We get downstairs and he jogs to the living room and he grabs Bheki by his shirt and punches him. He continues to do that before the boys pull him away from Bheki.

Kgotso: how dare you kiss my woman?! HOW DARE YOU?!
Zisa: what?
Kgotso: how dare you?

He manages to escape the grip of the boys and grabs Bheki again. He punches him so I walk closer and try to stop him but he pushes with great force and I fall down.

I feel a sharp pain in my belly so I scream. He looks at me and quickly realises what he's done. He rushes to me, picks me up and we head to one of his cars.

He drives at high speed and we arrive at a hospital, followed by our friends and as we enter, I lose consciousness.