𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 46

♪ It's just principle
Baby, hold me
'Cause I like the way you groove ♪

Eleanor Norris POV

I couldn't sleep. I could only see Lando's panicked expression whenever I closed my eyes. What if I wasn't there? Would he find a way to distract himself from his overflowing thoughts? Why did I go this deep? Was it to hurt him, or was it because there was something else with Oscar?

I need to stop ignoring the obvious. Oscar has said it. He loves me. Lando hasn't said it, but this is bothering him enough for him to have a panic attack. That man drives a car at 300 km/h as a career; he is used to stress. I caused this. I know I did, and he would never admit it.

We stayed there for endless minutes. I couldn't make a choice then and there. It was too hard. I need to choose who I should hurt. Who do I love or could grow to love? Because both of them could offer me everything.

I needed to choose between giving Lando a second chance, considering the years I've spent being a close friend and having a crush on him. Or, giving Oscar a real chance and begging my dad for a divorce.

I missed Friday's practices. I was too numb to show up. I showed up on Saturday and noticed Oscar in the garage. His sight was set on me, but I ignored it, going to talk to Daniel instead. I left the garage soon after and was intercepted by Carlos.

"What happened? You look tired; Lando looks sick. Is everything alright?" He asks me worriedly, and I simply shrug my shoulders.

"I don't know. We are going through a phase. Is he alright?" I ask curiously, and he looks behind me.

"Why don't you ask him? Text me or call me if you need anything. We are still friends," he says before messing my hair and leaving me as I huffed in annoyance.

"I didn't expect you to be here," Lando says with a small smile.

"Are you okay?" I tried to look for some indication in his eyes that he was alright, but it only showed tiredness.

"I'm fine; that was a one-time thing. I told you there was no need for rushed conclusions," he tried to sound happy, but I wasn't particularly buying it.

"What if you are the one I choose? Would it be rushed?" I ask, seeing a hint of hope crossing his eyes before he clears his throat.

"I don't have a shot," he says confidently.

"You are my husband."

"On paper."

"It matters. You've been my husband in every sense this past month. Did you tell me it would be rushed because you feared I would choose him? What if there is a chance of me choosing you? Would it be rushed?" I ask, intensely watching his body language. He was interested, and he swallowed nervously as he licked his lips.

"I am not rushing you into a choice. But if you want the truth, this is stressing me out. I am scared of losing you. I can't seem to see straight when I see you with him. If you have to choose, make it on your own time. I won't be the one to blame for future regrets. I want you to be 100% sure of the decision you make. I've fucked up, I know it, but I won't do it again. Ever. I love you, Nora. That is all I can say."

He kissed my lips and I kissed him back. His words were true; I could feel it. And I am at a crossroads because now both have said it. I can't delay what I have to do. But I think summer break will be good for me to decide on what's best for me.

Maybe they both deserve better; perhaps I should end it with Oscar and wait for the marriage to reach two years, and I will just leave. Let them both live their life without me in it.

"I can't keep doing this Lando," I whisper once his lips leave mine, and he nods.

"I can help you make that choice. I can make it for you," his tone was serious and I was confused.

"And how would you do that?"

"Get me the papers, I will sign them. But after that's done, we are too. I'm not anyone's second best. If you choose me, then I will treat you well. If you choose him and sign the divorce, consider us done for good. I don't think this is something irrational. I am just saying I would sign them and maybe help you convince our dads to let us get divorced."

"I will let you know if I need that help. But I want to enjoy summer break as planned—one week with friends, one week with family. And then back to work," I tell him as I fix his messy hair, and he smiles.

"I would never throw that away; it might be our farewell," he says as he leans closer, and I feel a lump in my throat. I'm not too fond of that thought.

"Lando-"

"I just want you to be happy, with or without me. I can survive it; think about yourself as you've been doing; it's time for you to be your priority," he says before kissing me gently as Zak calls him. I enter the garage, Oscar's eyes on me.

"Are you excited for summer break? More time with him," Zak says excitedly and I nod.

"I am, we need the rest. He deserves it too," I say as I watch him get in the car.

"I'm glad you two worked things out; I could always see the way you two looked at each other," he says happily, and I nod, knowing damn well that Oscar is right behind us, watching the screen with the data of the car.

I stood there, avoiding his sight on me. I can't do this. Not there. I pick up my phone and text him.

I need time and space; a choice will be made once summer break ends. This can't keep on like this.

Elle, I love you, don't forget that. I'm here for whatever you need.

And so does he. I will talk to you when I can.

I locked my phone and put it in my pocket. I said what had to be said. Someone is going to get hurt, and maybe all the people involved can get hurt somehow. I left the garage after the practice ended, I waited for Lando to get out of the car, kissed him, and went to the motorhome.

I stayed there and was going to watch qualifying when I get a call from Em, my sister was sobbing and when the call ended so was I.