𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 51

❝ I know you never saw me
When the lights come on and I'm on my own
Could I be the one you talk about in all your stories
Can I be him?❞

Oscar Piastri POV

It wasn't a shock; I've seen them together lately. He loves her, and she loves him, even if it was hard for her to admit it. I know I did this to myself; she gave me many options to leave, and I ignored them. I wanted some fun, I wanted something to distract myself with, but it was a bust. 

"You made the right choice for yourself. Stop apologizing; we are both adults; I can deal with rejection. I hope he makes you happy," I say, and our food thankfully arrives.

"I hope we can be friends in the near future; I think for now, some distance will help the awkwardness go away," she comments, and I nod.

The lunch was nice and full of small talk, but I stopped her as we were exiting the private room she had booked.

"I need some time and space but I am happy for you, for making this choice. I hope next year the dust has settled down between the three of us; I know no one was at fault; it was an open game, I lost, but I still want your happiness," I say as I hug her, and she hugs me back.

"Well, I want your happiness too, and I also happen to know someone I think would be perfect for you, but tell me when you are ready, no rebounds or anything like that. I know that's not you, I hope 2023 will be better for us," she whispers before the hugs ends and I nod.

"I will ask for more details soon; good luck with the fashion weeks ahead; you will need it. I will miss you around the paddock," I say as I open the door for her to leave, and she smiles widely.

"I will see you soon enough," she winked before leaving my sight, and I left quickly after, all to avoid any type of rumors.

I watched all the headlines in the next few weeks: her modeling in the different cities, Lando appearing whenever a race didn't stop him from doing so, and people were all over it. I arrived at the track in Suzuka and was walking to the Alpine garage when I saw Eleanor on her phone as Lando did an interview. She hung up, and his interview ended soon after, so I watched from afar.

"I've got it all taken care of, so please trust me on this; I can please you if you let me. It's our one-year anniversary, and I will make it worth it. I know you got those papers signed; I won't take risks," he says as he hugs her from behind, and she laughs.

"I will use them if I have to. Dad was the one who called and wanted to know what we had planned; I was not planning anything. This is on you; I sure hope it's a good surprise," she is completely calm, and I consider walking away. I don't need to see this.

I didn't need to see every story they posted together or every video of them that appeared on my social media, but I did. I felt accustomed to it more as the days went by; they are made for each other, and only someone blind wouldn't notice it. Lando was unstoppable; this was his year. He was first in the championship, and Max could only fight for second place with Daniel and Charles. 

He was due to win the championship; there was no doubt that McLaren had a good car and a good driver. 2022 is his year, and I hope the car is as good when I enter the team. I am a bit bummed Daniel is leaving since he was my Australian mate, but he is doing it for his future, and the family he wants to have, and I get it; he had enough, so he is leaving for himself.

"That won't do you any good," I hear Daniel's voice, and I turn around, my heart racing from the surprise of his sudden appearance.

"Can't you make a sound when you walk? Christ!" I complain as I resume my walk through the paddock, as I should've done minutes ago.

"You will find someone. You had a crush, and you will survive it. Eleanor is great, but she is not your person," he says confidently.

"How do you know that?" I ask curiously. How could he be so sure?

"Because she is his person, and he is hers. You have yours, too. I understand how you feel, but you will be fine. Lando is a great teammate. I hope you two can have fun together on the team," he says excitedly, and I nod.

"Don't worry about it; we will both be fine. I'm getting over it already. They look too good together for me to doubt this was the right decision for everyone involved," I am being honest, and he smiles widely before hugging me.

"That is why I like you; let me know if you need anything. Maybe a good party will help you forget all about it," he suggests before someone calls him.

But I didn't need to forget it. I will keep the memories and cherish them; it's all good. I get her side, and I get mine. And I sure do think Lando is lucky as fuck.