<>8<>

"Eat so you can sober up." Harry commanded, pointing to the plate of fries in front of Zayn.

"I'm not drunk, Harry." Zayn chuckled, the two and a half beers inside of him making everything just a little funny.

"Well you're not completely sober." Harry argued, staring at him.

He couldn't help it, he was in officer mode.

For some reason, Zayn chose to meet him at the bar instead of letting Harry come pick him up.

After watching Zayn drink down more than two beers, Harry decided to bring him to the closest diner, hoping some food would sober him up enough so he could drive himself home.

Not that Harry wanted Zayn to leave, but he couldn't let him drive anywhere unless he was fully sober.

"I'm really not hungry, honestly." Zayn said, even the plate of salty golden fries not triggering an appetite.

"In fact, I think I've had about all I can take." Zayn mumbled, referring to Louis.

"What?" Harry asked, watching him.

"Nothing. Here, you eat." Zayn said, sliding the plate over to Harry.

"They're for you." Harry protested.

Zayn made a face, stirring the ice in his water with his straw.

"Here." Harry said, picking a fry up and holding it close to Zayn's mouth.

"Seriously?" Zayn asked, smiling.

"Yeah, open up." Harry grinned.

"This is like treatment I give my five year old son, c'mon." Zayn said, chuckling.

Harry paused. "You have a son?"

Zayn paused as well, realizing then that he wasn't as sober as he thought.

"Um, what?" He asked, pretending he hadn't heard Harry correctly.

"You said you have a five year old son." Harry said.

Zayn's eyes drifted to the fry that Harry still held out, and he leaned forward and ate it.

"What d'you know? Found an appetite." Zayn said after he swallowed.

"I don't care if you have children, Zayn. I love kids." Harry told him.

Zayn eventually sighed. "I just have the one. His name is Niall, and...he's my world." He admitted.

"Where's your world right now?" Harry asked.

"My friend is watching him." Zayn lied.

Harry stared at him for a moment. "Why'd you lie?"

Zayn's heart dropped. "W-What?"

"Why'd you lie about being alone all the time? You're obviously not if you have a child." Harry pointed out.

"Oh, yeah, well...um, I just-"

"Were you worried I wouldn't be interested in you anymore?" Harry frowned, beginning to see Zayn in a different way now.

"Well, partially. But...you know it's hard meeting people when you have a child, especially so young. Plus if I ever let him meet you and he got attached, then we had a falling out he'd be hurt as well as us. It's just...complicated." Zayn said, wishing be hadn't lied.

About everything.

"I understand." Harry said quietly, nodding.

"Well, now that I know you're a father, and after spending what time I have with you, I think it's going to take a lot for me to no longer be interested in you." Harry smiled.

Zayn smiled with relief, wanting to come across the table and kiss Harry.

"And...I'd love to meet your son someday." He added. "Whenever you're ready, of course."

Zayn smiled, nodding. "I'd love for you to meet him too."

×
×
×

The next day, Harry and Zayn went to the gym again, and they also went jogging.

Since Harry had to work all week, he encouraged Zayn to continue his training on his own.

Which, he did, but when the day for him to take the fitness test came, Zayn was beyond nervous.

Louis wished him luck, but that only worsened Zayn's nerves.

Harry, although he should've been out patrolling the city, stayed to watch Zayn and mentally cheer him on.

And to his own surprise, Zayn passed the fitness test as well as the written test he took earlier that week.

"Congratulations Mr.Malik." The chief said, firmly shaking Zayn's hand.

"I want you back here tomorrow morning to take the oath and receive your uniform and badge. Then you'll be under Officer Styles' watch. He'll train you from then on, I trust him enough." The chief smiled, looking over towards Harry.

"Thank you." Zayn managed to say, still a little out of breath.

The chief nodded once before he turned and walked away.

"You did it." Harry smiled as he walked over to Zayn.

"Yeah, I did." Zayn smiled, squinting a little from the bright evening sun.

"Think you can make it back to your car or do I need to carry you?" Harry teased.

"I wouldn't mind a lift." Zayn smiled, gasping as Harry picked him up bridal style.

"Tomorrow we'll go to the shooting range and I'll teach you everything there is to shooting a gun." Harry said.

"How hard could it be?" Zayn asked skeptically.

"Harder than you think." Harry said, mainly because he'd never been the best with aim.

"Yeah?" Zayn smiled, looking at Harry's lips.

"Yeah." Harry said, carefully setting Zayn on his feet when they reached his car.

"Thanks. I would stick around, but I have to go get my son from his grandmother's." Zayn said.

"I understand. I'll see you tomorrow though." Harry nodded.

"Yeah, tomorrow." Zayn said, looking into Harry's eyes.

Those eyes that made Zayn just melt.

Harry watched the breeze catch Zayn's damp hair, blowing it into his face.

He was so beautiful, Harry was almost breathless just looking at him.

"So um, yeah." Zayn chuckled awkwardly, sending his fingers through his hair to get it out of his face.

"Right. Tomorrow." Harry said after clearing his throat.

Something wouldn't let him walk away.

Zayn also found it hard to leave, like some invisible force had them trapped there.

"Tomorrow." Zayn said softly, wishing Harry would pin him against the car and kiss him until his lips were swollen.

"Yeah." Harry almost whispered, so tempted to brush his fingers against Zayn's smooth looking cheek.

"Um, thanks again." Zayn said, extending his hand.

"Oh, um, of course. I look forward to working with you." Harry nodded, shaking his hand.

"You too." Zayn said, even though he wasn't sure that made sense.

Zayn then made himself get into his car, and Harry snapped out of his trance.

The two waved goodbye, and Harry sighed after Zayn drove away.

Harry needed to talk this out with Ed before he made the wrong move.

Or perhaps the right move, but too early.