<>18<>

That evening, after Niall was in bed, Zayn walked into the bedroom to find Louis sitting on the bed staring at him, as if he'd been waiting.

Zayn had a towel around his hips, and was using another to dry his hair when he paused, staring back at Louis.

"What?" He asked bluntly.

"We need to tell Niall about the divorce, Zayn. I can't just suddenly move out without us explaining to him what's going on." Louis said.

Zayn walked over to the dresser, and Louis frowned slightly at the way he walked.

He was almost limping.

"It's been bothering me all day. I don't know how to....tell him." Louis admitted, ignoring Zayn's strange walk.

"What else has been bothering you? What made you change your mind about full custody?" Zayn asked.

"Nothing made me change my mind. I just...did." He shrugged.

Zayn knew he was lying, but didn't care to try and get the truth out of him.

Louis heard Zayn's phone vibrate from his nightstand, glancing at the clock and wondering who would be texting him so late.

"When are you moving out, by the way?" Zayn asked, ready to have the bed to himself.

Or himself and Harry.

"Hopefully by the end of this month." Louis said, folding his arms.

"That long?" Zayn complained, glancing at Louis in the mirror as he changed his earrings.

Louis gave him a cold look. "Yeah, I'm no happier about it than you are."

Zayn's phone vibrated again, and Louis glanced at it.

He couldn't see the screen properly from across the bed, but it was certainly lit up.

"I think we should tell Niall tomorrow. You're off, right?" Zayn asked.

Louis nodded.

"After I get off work, let's...take him out and have some fun with him yeah? Maybe buy him a few toys he wants, get him ice cream, then have whatever he wants for dinner. And...after dinner we'll tell him." Zayn said.

"Basically butter him up, then drop the news on him." Louis said, giving him a look.

"If he's buttered the news will slide off easier." Zayn pointed out.

"And he's five years old, Louis. Any other suggestions?" He asked.

"No, that idea sounds alright. Even if we have to get along." Louis said quietly.

"For a day. For our son. I'm sure you can hold back the insults, can't you?" Zayn asked.

"I can, I'm more worried about you." Louis scoffed as Zayn's phone vibrated again.

"Don't worry about me. You'd be surprised at how well I can hold my tongue." Zayn muttered, walking over and checking his phone.

Louis watched him, seeing Zayn grin.

He hadn't seen Zayn grin like that in ages.

Zayn sat on the end of the bed, texting back whoever had made him grin.

Louis' eyes trailed over his soon to be ex-husband, noticing a love bite on his neck.

"You've met someone else." Louis said out loud as the realization hit him.

Zayn looked at him after texting Harry back.

"You're not going to throw a bitch fit, are you?"

"What? No. I'm...I'm glad you're happy or whatever." Louis lied.

"Who is it?" Louis asked stiffly.

"You don't know him." Zayn said, looking back at his phone as it vibrated again.

"I mean...is he someone you work with?" Louis asked.

Zayn stared ahead, swallowing his anger and looking at Louis again.

"Remember that cop that came when Niall called? The one with the long curly hair, strong jawline and big biceps?" Zayn asked.

"He also has beautiful eyes, if that helps your memory." Zayn smiled.

"I know who you're talking about. He the reason you can't walk straight?" Louis asked sharply.

"Maybe I can't walk straight because I'm gay. Ever think of that?" Zayn smiled, his childish side eating up this moment.

"Look all you have to say is you had sex with him. It's no big deal." Louis said, forcing a chuckle.

"Fine. I had sex with him. And honestly I can't walk straight because...well, he's hung like a horse." Zayn said with a smirk.

"Course, you're no stranger to big cocks, right? At least....that's what you told me." Zayn said, staring at Louis.

Louis glared back at him, unable to reply before their door squeaked open.

Niall stood there with his stuffed cat, tears running down his cheeks.

"What's wrong, lad?" Louis asked.

"I h-had a scary dream." Niall said shakily, hiccuping.

His cheeks were blood red, and his hair was a mess.

"Come here, it's alright." Louis said, picking him up and sitting back down on the bed.

"No, want daddy." Niall cried, pushing away from Louis and crawling across the bed to Zayn, who immediately took him into his arms.

"It's okay, you don't have to be scared, I'm right here. I've got you." Zayn assured him while Niall buried his face in Zayn's neck, clinging to him.

Louis swallowed, his chest aching.

"I'm um, I'll be downstairs." He said, picking up his pillow before quietly leaving the room.

Zayn watched him, sighing quietly.

"D'you want daddy to sing to you?" Zayn asked, able to feel how upset Niall still was.

Niall nodded, and Zayn sang softly to him, stroking his hair.

This continued for a while, and Zayn heard Niall yawn.

"Ready for bed, lad?" He asked, tired of sitting here in just a towel.

"Can I sleep in here?" Niall asked.

"Course. Get comfy, yeah? I've got to get my boxers on." Zayn said, waiting until Niall was off of him before getting up.

Zayn dressed himself in boxers and sweatpants, getting back in bed next to Niall and turning the light off.

"Daddy?" Niall asked quietly.

"Hm?"

"Do you have to go away tomorrow?" He asked.

"Away? You mean to work?" Zayn asked.

"Yeah."

"I do. But Remember my new schedule? I'll be home long before dark." Zayn said softly.

Niall yawned again. "Does papa have to go away tomorrow?"

"No, he'll be here. And when I get home we're going out." Zayn said.

"Going out where?" Niall asked.

"To the park. And maybe some shopping. Just a fun day. How's that sound?" Zayn asked.

"Good." Niall mumbled sleepily.

"Okay. Goodnight, lad." Zayn said, kissing his head.

Niall hummed a little, snuggling up against Zayn.

Zayn smiled, sighing softly and mentally preparing himself for tomorrow.