Chapter 19

Weeks had passed, he would come by to the room delivering my three daily meals. We barely talked unless he’d asked me what I wanted to eat, or asking me if I wanted to shower. Life had been tough, but even more of a challenge for me was staying trapped in this house, trapped and held captive between four walls, it drove me insane. He on the other hand had nothing to worry about, he left daily making sure the bolts were secure on the doors, he had his freedom, he saw people, he went about and unlike me soaked the sun’s ray from the outside, not from the inside of a room standing opposite a window.

He didn’t mind me roaming the house as long as he was two steps behind. Sometimes I’d be bored crazy so I’d go into his office and read. He had an excellent collection of Novels, and quite a collection of Shakespearean plays. Once I had noticed the Twilight Saga sitting idly on his book case. I rolled my eyes immediately. Sure it was a novel, but they lacked the one thing that all literary scripts need, values! I had picked The Great Gatsby from Dracula and To Kill a Mockingbird.

I sat up quickly in my bed. Why? Why would someone have a collection of bestselling novels, such high works of sophistication and value? Someone like... Noah.

I contemplate my future. It was looking very dark, well not just like the lighting in this room if I were too be trapped in here for the rest of my life, but dark in terms of a recusant future.

I had nothing to do on this night, I was bored, useless, and socially inept. I wonder if anyone cared about me or even thought about me, the asshole had my phone, his constant notification of who called me or not was ongoing, disappointing as it sounds, it was the same people that called me, the last people on my mind, my university. Glad someone called to see where I am, Oh there probably after fees, they don’t give a shit, they only give a fuck about my money, well I haven’t received any so I can’t pay.

I hear my phone ringing, it had been a long time since I heard ring, he had it on him the whole time, and constantly on silent. I remove myself from my bed hastily, following the sound of my ringtone; I walk over to my door swiftly bumping my foot into the couch present.

I follow the familiar sound of the Marimba ringtone leading me downstairs into the kitchen. Just before I enter he answers the phone. Like what the fuck, he’s answering my phone now! He stares at me and signals me to sit on the chair he pulls out. I attempt to listen to the conversation only for him to exit the kitchen. Great!

Five minutes later he returns to the kitchen, he flashes his teeth as he places my phone in his pocket avoiding discreetness, almost purposely demonstrating his omnipotence. I look down avoiding his drooping eyes.

“Glad your here”, he reveals.

I look up and frown. “Do I have a choice?”

He pulls a chair and sits down. “You’ve always had a choice.”

I look at him in the eyes and laugh, laugh like some sort of nut case. “Fine you wont mind if I leave then will you”, I say getting up.

He grabs my wrist firmly and pulls me down. “I said you can’t leave!”

“Then what the fuck do are you on about?” I say screaming.

His faces tenses as his veins are easily seen on his neck. “Don’t fuck scream you stupid bitch!

“Don’t raise your voice at me, understand!”

“Yes” I say, my voice croaky, tears in my eyes.

A look of concern is present in his eyes. I pull my hand away and wipe my flooding tears. “You do have a choice Alyssa”.

“The choice is either you stay the way we are, you not accepting me and thinking of yourself as a prisoner or allowing yourself to fall in love with me, earning your freedom, earning my trust and you mostly living a jubilant life. It discontents me that your always suffering. Just give up and have it my way, we at least know that we’d be both euphoric, I’d have you and you would have your old life back,” he spiels.

I keep my head down, not accepting his idiosyncrasies. His concept of love was not a mutual and a general understanding like the rest of men, but more of a mutated emotion passed on by some miserable endowment he had experienced.

“What do you say?” he queries.

I contemplate his decision, live a life of pain and torture embedded with sorrow and pity or give in, give him an opportunity.

No! What the hell am I thinking? Why should I sacrifice my life that I’ve lived barely any of just to satisfy someone and earn freedom that I should already have in the beginning. Absolutely not! I will not tolerate this being, I will not tolerate his behaviour or his abstract interpretation of ‘love’. He’s crossed the redline, I will not let him control my life, control my decisions just for the sake of his pleasure. I have a life, and in this case I will do whatever I need to see myself exit this hell hole. I will regain my life.

“Hello, where are you day dreaming? Which one do your choose?” he asks.

I look up at him as if my eyes were burning holes right through him. I choose to keep my mouth closed, he wasn’t getting an answer.

Seconds pass. He opens his mouth to speak, his deep voice echoing through the kitchen. “Well, why don’t you answer?”

I keep my mouth closed, the answer is no, but it would burn him not getting a response from me.

“I guess you don’t want to answer,” he says.

“I’m going up to my room to sleep, I’m tired and it’s late,” I reply.

Without looking at him, I walk up the stairs gradually taking in the structure of the house.

An hour later he walks into my darkened room, I pretend I’m sleeping as he fixes my sheets and plants a kiss on my forehead. Yuck! Disgusting!

He walks out closing and bolting the door. Didn’t he have enough bolts on the front door seizing me within his closure?

I quickly wipe the kiss he planted on me getting out of bed in the process. I jaunt over to the window admiring the quiet streets and the scarce activity of people.

I felt a stinging pain on my first toe where I had bumped it into the couch.

THE COUCH!

THE COUCH!

THE COUCH!

I couldn’t open the sealed windows, but no one said anything about breaking them.

I run over to the couches, and drag it smoothly across the floor to avoid any noise, the last thing I needed was for him to hear everything happening.

I brace myself for what was to follow, I could smell it, my freedom, my survival, my life. I was going in for the taking.

I lift the couch up with all my might, it was heavy, buts its strong structure would assist in obliterating the glass. I almost throw the couch towards the glass window, the glass shatters as the couch is rebounded landing on the floor. Pieces of glass were intact.

Suddenly, I hear heavy thuds amplifying in sound as they approach the room quickly, he was coming. I didn’t know what to do, if I’d jump, I most certainly cut or even stab myself with the remaining glass intact with the window, and most likely may fall to my death. Oh my idiocy! Why didn’t I think this through like normal people did. I immediately react.

I snatch my sheets of the bed and wrap it around my wrist. I punch at the shattered glass predating any intact fragments. I heard the bolts unlocking and the sound of rattling keys as he did his best to open the door, a simple flaw of his liquidating plan. I was going to be free.

The door opens banging against the wall. He was across the room, gazing crazily at me almost like a bull preparing to wipe out its feet in attempt to chase the red rag. Holy Shit! He was going to murder me if he caught. We stayed standing there for moments not aware of each other’s intents.

I stood there, my eyes wide open gawking back at him. It hit me! I needed to escape. I break my focus and look towards the window. I begin to climb over the window ledge as he runs as fast a lion towards me. I push myself of the ledge. This was it.

FREEDOM!