8.) He does care about you, in a way

You felt touched by Edd's words.

     "Why are they all being so nice to someone they haven't even known for that long?" you thought, confused yet again by their actions.

     Edd pulled you back from your daze, "Now, I'll go get you a t-shirt you can use to sleep in for now and a blanket for the sofa. Oh! You said you used to have a cat, right?"

     You quickly nodded.

     The brunet smiled, "I'll go see if I can find Ringo then, too."

     Edd hurried up the stairs to his bedroom and shut the door behind himself. While you sat on the sofa and waited for the man to return, you quietly recited some Norwegian, trying to keep your mind busy. You were sure your mother and father, to an extent, would be so disappointed with you if they saw you right now.

     You stumbled across your Norwegian words, trying to pronounce them right, but feeling as if you mixed up some of the syllables, "Takk for alt." Translation: (Thanks for everything)

     You shook your head, the words getting mixed up into your mind's muddy mess of a memory. Right then, you heard footsteps coming from the stairs and saw Edd hurrying back, his hands full. He stopped next to the sofa and tossed you the t-shirt he picked out. It was a simple gray one, long enough to cover your body, and, afterward, he handed you the plain white blanket he picked out.

     The man then clicked his tongue and called out, "Ringo! Come here kitty!" 

     You held the t-shirt and blanket in your hands as you turned, watching a tiny object that was currently flurrying down the stairs.

     The feline, Ringo, flew into Edd's arms and he proceeded to pet the animal, speaking in a soft voice, "Ok, Ringo, this is (Y/N). They're going to be living with us for some time, probably."

     He handed Ringo over to you and you listened to the cat's soft purring as you held her close to your ears, "I've missed this a lot. I guess I never realized how much I actually loved animals, ever since my mother got rid of our cat."

     Edd looked solemn, nodding his head, "I'm sure you two will become the best of friends. Well, I'm gonna leave Ringo down here with you, (Y/N)."

     He turned to leave, but paused and glanced back at you, asking, "Do you need anything else before I head up to bed?"

     You shook your head, "No. Thanks, Edd."

     The brunet smiled and headed up the stairs to his bedroom, he looked back at you one more time and closed the door quietly behind himself.

     You whispered to the feline, softly, "I guess it's just you and me, Ringo."

     Ringo purred as you continued to pet her fur and you suppressed a laugh, pulling Edd's t-shirt over your clothes. You grabbed the blanket, shutting the light off before you covered yourself with it, crawling onto the sofa. Ringo let out a squeak and jumped onto your stomach, kneading the sheet and then laying down, contentedly. You sighed and looked up at the ceiling of the sitting room. You were happy for once, even though your parents' voices were continuously niggling like little worms in the back of your mind. 

     Closing your eyes, you let the nighttime ambiance wash over your body.

     However, sleep didn't come for a long time. You felt nervous; you didn't feel busy enough. In fact, the whole week you were at the hospital, you didn't get to do much too occupy yourself at all. While you eventually fell asleep, you struggled against your bundled up nerves clawing at the back of your head. All through the night you dreamed of terrible things.