chapter one

ava's pov.

i woke up to the blaring sound of my alarm and rolled over to see i had 12 missed calls from marina. marina is my bestfriend, we have been best friends since i was 12, she was my first friend when i moved to brookhaven. and stayed to be my only friend. she was actually with me when i came home to see that my parents have left me and my sister to be by ourselves.

i groan and hit her contact to call her back. it rings for literally two seconds before she picks up.

"ava i know your ass is still not in bed." she huffs through the phone.

"it's only 6:20 marina i don't need to be up right now" i roll my eyes, thank god she can't see.

"we need to be up for breakfast did you forget?! hurry up adry is already almost ready and i don't wanna wait on your ass i miss you" she pleads through the phone.

adryana is my older sister, she's the tough one. always fighting, always being that protective older sister over me. she's really bitchy but she loves me and marina more then anything. when my parents walked out, adryana basically had to put on her big girl pants and take care of me and her, with no help. she works and goes to school full time with me and still manages to have a boyfriend and keep all her grades up.

"adry will wait for me, i'm getting up now. we will see you soon love you" i giggled.

"mhm love you too" she says then hangs up.

i get up and look at myself in the mirror and sigh, lifting up my shirt revealing a scar underneath my left breast. i put my finger over it slightly and start to feel my eyes fill up. why would he ever do that to me? i quickly wipe my eyes and put down my shirt and proceed to get myself ready for my first day as a junior. one more year.

i shower and get myself dressed, do my hair put some light makeup on. i'm putting on my shoes when i hear adryana scream.

"ava hurry the fuck up it's almost 7!"

i quickly grab my phone and bag and yell back, "COMING!"

i make it down the stairs to see my sister in a a white tube top, with a long red cardigan, jeans and white slip on vans. her beautiful red hair curled with her purse full of her school things. my sister is so beautiful, i look down at my outfit and sigh. i could never look as good as her.

it's like she reads my mind, she looks up to me and smiles.

"you look beautiful ava, stop doubting. now let's go in the car before marina has a heart attack. "
i laugh and run down the stairs and follow her to car.

she's right about marina, she's so impatient and hates when people are late, and it so happens that me and my sister are late to EVERYTHING.

i hop into the car with her and she drives off and plays her music as i look down into my ripped jeans, and stare at all the faded scars. i haven't cut in a while, but sometimes it still slips into my mind. i started it when my parents left, i never understood why they didn't want me or adry. and it continued when i was with him. i turn out the window quickly as my sister turns down the music and looks to me.

"he's not there ava. he will never hurt you again. please don't let him ruin another year for you, you've been doing so good."

i turn to her to see her with a reassuring smile, resting her hand on mine. i squeeze it lightly and shook my head.

"i know. i won't. "

she nods and looks back to the road. the rest of the ride was silent.

we pull up to the breakfast place and i see marina outside her car on her phone. when adry parks i run out and jump on marina.