Chapter 4

One and half years later

Emma

"When will you talk to your father?" I asked Hamza, who was lying on the bed beside me.

Hamza who was staring at the ceiling with my hand placed on his chest below his hand turned and looked at me sideways. He had come to New York for some business project and it was impossible that he would go back without seeing me. He had flown to Boston for a day to meet me and now we were lying on my bed.

"The day you complete your law degree," he smiled, "I can't wait to see you dressed as my bride," he leaned and pecked my nose.

I blushed from his peck, Hamza had never tried anything more than a few pecks on my cheek or nose. He even had stopped me from kissing him on many occasions, stating it was not appropriate and he was not sure if he would be able to restrain himself from going further. I understood his point of view and respected it.

Still, something nagged at the back of my mind, the desire I felt when Dawood had touched me, I had never felt in Hamza's touch. I liked holding hands with him, pecking his cheek but it was nothing like I felt with Dawood. My body had set one fire the moment Dawood had touched me and I had forgotten everything, nothing mattered to me more at that moment than his touch and the desires it invoked within me.

"Em?" Hamza's voice brought me out of my thoughts.

I tried shaking Dawood's thoughts away from my mind but it was nearly impossible. I couldn't understand why I often started thinking about him in Hamza's presence. There was no similarity between the two, instead, they were the complete opposite of each other. Where Hamza was loving and considerate, Dawood was mocking and self-centered. I had never met someone so full of himself as, Dawood Ordimez.

I cursed myself for thinking about him again, it had been nearly one and a half years since I had come across him. He has topped his batch as expected and had joined his father's law firm. In just more than a year he had made his name in the legal consultancy circle. Dawood was considered one of the most promising new lawyers in Boston.

"I don't know how these eight months will pass," Hamza said tracing patterns with his thumb on the back of my hand.

"I know, it won't be easy," I said turning on my stomach.

"You didn't even come for the summers," his voice held a complaint.

"I had my internship, Hamza, and we just have a few months remaining," I giggled.

I couldn't stop thinking about our wedding in the past few months. I had even started searching catalogs for ideas for my wedding dress. I knew Hamza would like something simple and elegant.

A knock sounded on the door and Reem entered," Uncle Haris, is here," she announced.

I sat up on the bed while Hamza sprang to his feet and settled on the couch across the bed. Reem laughed at us, and then she sat upon the edge of the bed near me.

Hamza was my second cousin, still, it was considered inappropriate for us to be alone in a room," What are your plans for tonight?" Hamza asked.

"We don't have any plans for, now," I answered him.

"My friends are meeting at a club if you both would like to join?" Reem asked.

Reem had become a party animal in the last two and half years. The freedom that her parents had denied her back home, she had found here and was making good use of it. Mostly, she used to drag me with her, but if I got lucky I used to ditch her at the last moment.

"What do you say, Princess, should we join her?" Hamza asked.

He used to address me as Princess when he felt overwhelmed. I loved the way it sounded in his deep voice.