Chapter 59

Dawood

I was going to be a father.

Emma was pregnant with our child. Our child. My baby. My flesh and blood. I wanted to be happy. I wanted to be happy so badly but nothing but a deafening silence ruled within me.

The possibility that my child could go through something that still kept me up at night terrified me to my core. I would never wish something like that on my worst enemy. How could I condemn my child to such a fate?

Emma didnt love me.

I wanted to believe her when she admitted her love for me, but I couldn't. I had seen my mother make declarations of love to Dad day and night; still, she cheated on him. If that was not enough betrayal, she even tried to kill me.

Dad married Mom after years of dating. He went against his family's wishes and married Mom. My grandparents abolished all ties with him and refused to give their blessings to him for marrying a non-Muslim. They only got in touch again with him after my birth.

Dad left his whole family for Mom, and still, that woman betrayed him. How could I trust Emma not to betray me when she was in love with her cousin even before we got married, and the said cousin still pursued her and wanted her back?

Sometimes I felt like a vein in my brain would explode. How would I get through everything with my heart and soul intact?

Emma was the only woman I had ever loved with every fiber of my being. The thought of losing her was enough to make my breath stop. I would rather kill myself than give her up.

I admit that my love was selfish.

I was thinking about myself and not what would make her happy. If she still loved her cousin, the right thing for me would be to let her go. But how would I survive without her? My every thought began and ended on her. She had become more vital than oxygen for me. I couldn't even survive a day without seeing her or touching her.

Emma was my wife.

How could I give up my wife?

I would rather kill myself than even think about letting her go. I wasn't strong enough to see her with someone else. Especially when she was pregnant with my child, despite telling Emma we would think about her pregnancy after returning to Boston, I knew there wasn't an option for me.

Even if our baby was nothing more than an undifferentiated mass of cells, I still loved it and would protect it till my last breath. I wish I could erase Emma's past so that there was no one in her life before me, and she would only love me.

Everyone would be so happy in my family, especially Dad and Natasha. They had tried so much for a child, but fate was cruel to Dad. It blessed him with a child, but his wife didn't love him, and when he found the woman he loved, fate took away their chance to have children.

I wandered aimlessly on the streets of Chicago for hours, and as my chaotic mind began to relax, I realized how badly I had treated Emma. Getting pregnant was an important milestone in any woman's life, and I had just ruined it for Emma.

I could have handled the situation in a better way. The problem was the moment I saw the pregnancy test, my past came back to haunt me, and in my attempt to run away from it, I hurt Emma.

Emma's ashen face floated in my vision, deepening my regret. It wasn't her fault she was in love with someone else before meeting me. The situation in which we got married was too complicated, but still, we overcame all the difficulties in our marriage and found common ground.

If I hadn't seen her with that bastard Hamza and hadn't heard everything with my own ears, I would have never doubted her feelings. We had come so far in our relationship. We overcame all the differences, and we're getting along so well. If it were up to me, I would kill Hamza without a second thought, but I feared it would only lead to Emma hating me.

My cell vibrated in my pocket. I pulled it out to find Emma's name flashing on it. Not finding the courage to speak to her after how I behaved, I let it ring. I needed to apologize to her for hurting her. I laughed at the irony that even after seeing her with Hamza and listening to everything, I couldn't even think of hurting her. The realization that I hurt her made me restless, and I couldn't think of a way to apologize.

My cell vibrated again, but I ignored it, thinking it would be Emma. I would go back and ask for her forgiveness. I wouldn't be surprised if she refused to forgive me, but I would try nonetheless. Hopefully, she would understand the reason behind my behavior and forgive me.

It wasn't necessary that Emma would be the same as the woman who gave birth to me. The way she defended me in front of Dad and Natasha, even after everything that happened and admitted to loving me meant something. If Emma wanted, she could leave me and marry Hamza. She was a princess, and there was no reason for her to stay married to me and make all efforts to make our marriage work.

God, I was fucked.

I rubbed my face and then raked my fingers through my hair. I feared my mind would explode one of those days. These inner conflicts wouldn't let me live. A part of me trusted and believed Emma but the other part, the scarred one, would always find reasons to doubt her.

What was I supposed to do?

I kicked the ground and punched the nearest wall in anger. There needed to be a way to end my misery. I couldn't spend my whole life doubting Emma and fighting a war with myself.

My cell vibrated again and didn't stop even after several minutes. Getting tired of the caller's persistence, I took out my cell from my pocket to switch it off but got startled when I saw Cian's name flash on the screen.

Why was Cian calling me so late at night?

I received the call immediately when I couldn't think why he could call me.

"Hello," I said into the speaker.

"Ordimez, it's Byrne. There is something you need to know," Cian's deep voice echoed on the other side.

"What happened?"

What Cian told me was enough to make my blood simmer. I needed to find a permanent solution to the problem before I lost everything that mattered to me.

Please dont forget to like, comment, share, and leave a review. Follow me for the latest updates on my books.

Instagram: alizajabri02
Facebook: Aliza Jabri Books
Inkitt: Aliza Jabri
Wattpad: Aliza Jabri.