Chapter 57

Emma

By the time Christmas was around, the situation in Azmaayir had gotten under control. It took nearly two months to curb the revolts, but Abi appeased the people. The main perpetrators behind the rebellion were still at large, and the intelligence of Azmaayir worked day and night to find them, and Uncle Haris was certain they would track them down soon.

Mom and my siblings were back in the capital safely. I wanted to visit them, but I had promised Dad I would spend Christmas with them. Dad, Gemma, and the boys were waiting eagerly for our arrival.

Dawood and my relationship improved in the past weeks, but it was nowhere close to how it was before. We talked that night about my meeting with Hamza, and I explained to Dawood what had transpired. I wasn't sure if he believed me or not, but he never brought up the topic again.

We took the flight to Chicago on the morning of Christmas Eve. Dawood stayed busy during the flight working on his laptop while I got some schoolwork done.

Dad came to pick us up at the airport. I hugged him the moment I saw him and didn't pull away for several moments.

"I missed you, Dad," I peered up at him.

"Missed you too, love," Dad stroked my hair, then kissed my forehead.

"How are Gemma and the boys?" I inquired to him, pulling apart.

"They are good. How is married life treating you?" He asked with a mischievous smile.

My eyes snapped to Dawood, who stood at the side watching us. I slapped my forehead and then grasped his hand and introduced him, "Dad, this is Dawood. And Dawood, this is my Dad," I waved my hand between them.

"Hello," Dawood smiled, holding out his hand.

"Pleased to meet you, gentleman. I hope you are treating my daughter well?" Dad shook hands with Dawood and pulled him into a hug.

Dawood stiffened but didn't pull away. Dad patted his back and then turned to me, "Is he giving you any trouble?"

Dawood and I looked at each other at the exact moment, and our eyes met. Dawood looked away immediately, and my chest tightened at his action.

"Dawood has spoiled me more than you and Abi," I said with a fake smile.

I didn't want Dad to worry about me. He had been through a lot and only found peace and love when Gemma came into his life. My problems were my burden, and I didn't want to bother anyone else. Dawood and I had made progress, and I was sure we could handle it ourselves.

"That's good to hear. Otherwise, you know who to call," Dad joked.

We collected our bags and headed to Dad's place. Dad warned me Gemma and the boys were too excited to meet Dawood and me. Kade and Aiden bounced excitedly on the patio when we exited the car. The next second they sprinted in our direction and almost jumped onto me.

"Easy boys," I laughed, hugging them, then introduced them to Dawood.

Gemma emerged from inside the house; she was a radiant woman with brown hair and blue eyes. After the initial pleasantries, I introduced her to Dawood.

The rest of the day went in a blur. Kade and Aiden kept everyone busy with their shenanigans. Dawood and they both clicked immediately, and only in a few hours, it seemed like they knew each other.

"You love him," Gemma remarked, dropping on the couch beside me.

I pulled away my gaze from Dawood, who was playing football with the boys in the backyard, and admitted without hesitation, "I do."