Chapter 43

The earlier part of the Chapter is exclusive to Patreon and Scrollstack

"Assalam Alaykum," I greeted.

"Dawood, where the hell have you been?" he sounded anxious.

"What happened?" I knew something was wrong.

Dad had never called me at this hour ever in my life. What might have happened?

"Are you okay, Dad?" I asked, panicked, hoping he was fine.

"I am okay. It's Anne (mother in Turkish). She felt uneasy, and they took her to the hospital," His voice was distressed.

I feel someone pull the ground from below my feet. Babaanne was not well?

"When?"

"An hour ago, they performed tests on her, which showed she has multiple blockages, and the doctors said an immediate open-heart surgery needs to be performed. I have asked our pilot to get the aircraft ready. Natasha and I will be leaving in an hour, and I thought you might want to come along," Dad gave a detailed answer.

"I will be at the airport in an hour," I replied.

We spoke for another minute, finalizing the details, then disconnected the call.

"Is everything okay?" she asked, placing her hand on my arm.

I looked at her with empty eyes, who had wrapped a sheet around herself. Then pulled her to me and buried my face in her neck.

"Babaanne has multiple blockages in her cardiac arteries. They are going to operate on her heart," I said, sniffing her neck to fill my lungs with her sweet scent.

She stiffened at my words and then wrapped her arms around me, "She will be okay, don't worry. You need to be strong for Babaanne and your Dad," she said, rubbing my back.

"I need to leave for the airport," I said, pulling from her and then cupping her face.

"I know," she said.

"I am sorry," I raked my hand through my hair. I couldn't believe my wife had agreed to sleep with me after all that time, and I would have to leave.

"Fuck," I cursed, "I am sorry that I have to leave this in the...," I couldn't complete my sentence in my frustration.

If not for Babanne, I would never have left, but she loved me like a mother. She raised me like a son when my mother left. I owed it to her to be at her side even if I could not claim my wife. Leaving my wife in Boston would kill me, but I needed to go.

It's okay, Dawood, we have our whole life," she smiled reassuringly.

"I promise to make it up to you when I return," I promised.

Her jade-green eyes widened in surprise, making my heart squeeze.

"You don't want me to come with you?" She asked in astonishment.

"I don't think you should come. The Dean had given an extension after many requests. I don't think it would be wise for you to miss more classes," I stroked her cheek with my thumb.

"But, Dawood...." I interrupted her, "You can visit Istanbul during your winter break," I dismissed her.

She had already missed too many classes because of me, and I didn't want her to miss them anymore. It was a miracle that the Dean had agreed to my request and gave her extensions. I didn't want to displease him further by taking her to Turkey.

"Babaanne will be fine. She is a fighter," I was convincing myself more than her.

Babaanne had given me the love of a mother, and I couldn't even imagine anything happening to her. She was the only person I trusted after Dad, and it would break me if she didn't get well soon.

"I want to come with you. She is my grandmother too," she insisted.

"Princess, this isn't up for discussion," I said sternly, and her face fell.

I sighed and then lifted her chin and looked into her eyes, "Please," I requested.

"Okay," she nodded in agreement.

"Thank you," I pulled her into a kiss.

I stuffed my clothes and other accessories in a bag and pulled the zipper while she watched me silently from the bed. When I came out of the bathroom after changing into a blue pullover and trousers, she had slipped into the tee shirt I had discarded earlier. It was too loose and long for her and reached the middle of her thigh. Still, I got a fucking hard-on from seeing her in my tee.

 Shaking the inappropriate thoughts out of my head, I grabbed the bag's handle and pulled it out of the room. She followed after me with silent steps. Though I had asked her not to accompany me, I regretted it imagining how I was supposed to live in Istanbul without her.

I was getting addicted to her, and even the thought of spending a few days without her unsettled me. I pressed the elevator button while she stood beside me, watching me silently.

I turned and wrapped my hands around her waist, and pulled her to me, "I will be back soon," I murmured against her mouth.

"Promise?" She tilted her head backward and asked, looking into my eyes.

"Promise," I pressed her hand with mine.

She buried her face in my chest and wrapped her hands around my neck, "I will miss you," she whispered in a barely audible whisper.

My heart skipped a beat at her confession. I had never expected that my wife would ever miss me. I pressed her closer to me and then kissed her on her forehead.

"I wish you had let me come with you," she murmured in my chest.

I took a deep breath. If she said it one more time, I would throw every caution out of the window and take her along with me, not caring if she was wearing only my tee shirt and nothing else.

"God, I will miss you," I couldn't help but say.

She lifted her face from my chest and looked at me with complaining eyes, "Is this why you don't want me to come with you?"

"Sweetheart, I will be back before you realize," I patted her cheek.

The elevator door had opened and closed while we were lost in each other.

"Take care," she whispered and stepped away from me, and pressed the button of the elevator.

My body protested at losing her touch, but I had no choice but to leave. Dad must be waiting for me at the airport, and I didn't want to stall him longer.

"You too," I leaned and kissed her forehead, then stepped into the elevator.

THE TARGET FOR THE NEXT UPDATE IS 200 LIKES AND 100 COMMENTS.

Please don't forget to like, comment, share, and leave a review. Follow me for the latest updates on my books.

Instagram: alizajabri02
Facebook: Aliza Jabri Books
Inkitt: Aliza Jabri
Wattpad: Aliza Jabri.