Chapter 45

Dawood

"You love her," Babaanne announced the moment I slipped my cell back into my pocket.

 I showed Babaanne pictures of my wife, which she sent me when she met with her friends on the weekend. After watching the pictures, Babaanne announced to me in a teasing tone. 

"Babaanne," I frowned.

 I had been a target of teasing for my whole family those days. My cousins didn't let go of any chance to tell me that I was pussy whipped. The way we both kept texting each other throughout the day and Facetimed whenever we could, it was getting more and more evident to everyone that my wife had me eating out of her hand. 

"Admit it, you stubborn boy, that you love her," she took my hand in hers.

 Babaanne was still in the hospital and was recovering well after her surgery. I used to stay with her at night even though she insisted I go home and sleep. It was the least I could do for her after how she had been there for me after my parents divorced.

  "I don't know, Babaanne," I said to her.

  "I know better than you know yourself, Dawi," she said with a broad smile.

   She only told the truth. Babaanne knew me better than anyone. I think she knew me even better than Dad. I had been close to only Babaanne and Dad throughout my life. 

"I don't have any doubt about it, Babaanne," squeezed her hand.

  "Did you tell her?"

 "Babaanne, I am yet to figure out if what I feel for her is love or not," I replied.

"You are an ass," she laughed. 

"An ass?" I looked at Babaanne with a scowl.

"You know, when Mehmet told me he asked Taimur for his daughter's hand in marriage for you, it unsettled me. I was not sure if an Arab girl that too a Princess would make you happy," Babaanne patted on the spot beside her on the bed, and I vacated the chair I was sitting on and slid on the bed beside her. 

 "Natasha assured me that Emma was a good choice for you. And that she had never been more impressed with any girl to that extent in the first meeting as she was with Emma. Still, I had doubts regarding her, and then the incident with the Paparazzi happened. I felt that Emma was not the right girl for you. That same night Mehmet called and informed me he forced you to marry Emma, and I fought with him because of it," Babaanne sighed. 

 I looked at her, startled, having no idea that so much had transpired between Babaanne and Dad on the issue of my marriage. I had been brooding the whole month after our Nikah till the wedding because Dad forced me into that union, and I didn't pay any attention to what was happening around me. 

 "Why didn't you tell me about it?" 

 "Mehmet requested me not to let you know my reservation about your wife because it would only provoke you into taking any wrong step. He assured me he wouldn't make any wrong decisions concerning your life. I was not happy, but your Dede asked me to accept what happened and try to be happy for you," she sighed. 

 "Then what change your mind about my wife?" I asked. 

  I knew Babaanne adored my wife and always looked forward to speaking to her on calls. She was not happy that I didn't bring her to Istanbul along with me. And only when I informed Babaanne about her missed classes she forgave me. 

  "I didn't even want to attend the wedding in Azmaayir, but your Dede and Mehmet forced me to be there because my absence would only raise speculations. I flew to Azmaayir with a half heart, but when I saw Emma at your wedding and talked to her, I knew she was perfect for you. The girl is humble and doesn't have even a single bone of arrogance in her body, even though she is a Princess. I am very pleased with the way Taimur and his wife have raised their kids. Especially Emma and Mohammed are very sensible, though I have some reservations about the younger twin. He seems to have a volatile temper just like you," Babaanne placed her fingers on my forehead and pushed it backward.