Chapter 23

Emma

I was startled at Reem's voice but was grateful as well that it wasn't my father or brothers. Dawood had once again proved that his touch and proximity still affected me no matter how much I hated or despised him. Sometimes I would just wonder for hours how easily he could manipulate me.

"Hi," Reem said in an awkward voice as Dawood studied her with a scrutinizing gaze.

"When did you arrive?" I tried walking past Dawood but he held my wrist and pulled me back.

"A few minutes ago when you both were snogging each other," she replied, getting hold of herself.

"Assalam Alaykum," Dawood greeted in a taunt.

"Walaykum Assalam, forgive my manners," Reem's cheeks flushed from embarrassment.

"It's okay, people lack manners in Azmaayir, pardon me it was just a general observation," he faked a smile.

I was trying to free my wrist from his hold so that I could speak to Reem in private before we had to leave for Turkey. Dawood's grandparents had arranged a reception for us in Istanbul the day after tomorrow and we were to fly to Istanbul in the afternoon.

"Em, if you don't mind can I have a word in private with you?" Reem asked, giving Dawood a pointed look.

"Sure," I took a step towards her but Dawood pulled me back then leaned and placed a gentle kiss on my lips.

"Don't take too long, sweetheart," he whispered loud enough for Reem to hear, then dropped my hand and walked away.

I kept staring at his back in contempt. Asshole, what was he trying to accomplish with such attics? That he was a loving husband and was very good to me. I glared at his back and then turned and walked to Reem and grabbed her hand. I pulled her with me towards my old bedroom.

Alia and Emel met us on our way, "Look who is here," Emel screamed in excitement.

"Assalam Alaykum," Emel greeted and hugged me, with overflowing affection.

"Walaykum Assalam," I replied with a polite smile.

She examined me from head to toe as if it would give any indication that I was a virgin or not. My walk would have if we had slept together last night because I was sure it would hurt like a bitch if Dawood decides to consummate our marriage. A shiver ran down my spine remembering his exceptional length and girth.

"Emma, Mom wanted to see you before breakfast," Alia informed.

Did she, now?

I had sensed Mom wanted to speak to me many times but I couldn't understand what was stopping her. I excused myself from the group and made my way toward my parent's quarters assuring Reem that I would not leave without speaking to her.

I knocked and entered her bedroom, she was sitting on the couch with some jewelry boxes spread on the coffee table.

"Come, Emma, I was choosing a gift for your reception," she said, smiling at me.

"Will you be coming?"

"I can't be sure, you know how it is with the Royal protocols. But your siblings will be there and I will try my best to accompany them," she replied.

As a Head of a State, it was not easy for Abi to travel from one country to another without prior planning for months. I hoped if not Abi at least Mom could make it to our Walima Reception. Not that I was looking forward to it, this marriage was nothing but a boulder that I had to carry on my chest unwillingly.