Chapter 8

Dawood

 Dad asked me to join him in his study after dinner and I knew that he was up to something. It rarely happened that he called me to his study. It was only when there was something very important. I followed him and settled on the couch across from him. 

 "Taimur looked quite impressed with you," he started leaning against the couch. 

 "He is a remarkable man, himself," I replied.

 "I like his daughter, she looks like a sensible girl. Natasha looked quite taken with her," I couldn't understand where this conversation was leading. 

 When he mentioned Taimur Al Jahaan I thought he might say, we will be representing him in some legal matter or something, but when the conversation diverted to his daughter my mind started sending me red signals. 

 "I think you should settle down," Dad spoke. 

 "I think I am quite well established."

 "I am talking about you getting married," Dad looked at me displeased, " I have asked Taimur for his daughter's hand in marriage for, you," I felt a bomb explode, I kept looking at my father dumbstruck. 

 He wanted me to get married to that spoiled Princess? How could he even expect something like that from me?  After all that happened, he was expecting me to settle down and start a new life?

"I am not interested in getting married," I said to him in a flat voice. 

 "It's not about interest, it's about what circumstances demand. If you want to get into politics you need to portray an image of a happily married man. If you could prove to the world you have your life sorted out, they will trust you with their lives too," Dad said, glaring at me with displeasure. 

 "I won't marry, especially not that spoiled, Princess," I replied.

 "I think she is quite sensible, with a monarch backing you, your chances of making it into the Senate will be quite high."

 "I don't need his backing. I am truly capable of making it to the senate on my own," I said and pressed my lips into a tight line. 

 "Think about it Dawood, it's a golden opportunity," Dad looked at me with compassion.

 "Dad I don't want to get married," my tone became wearied even if I didn't want to. 

 Dad's eyes held pity for me, an emotion that I hated more than love, "It's not necessary all marriages would end badly. Look at me and Natasha, how happy we are together."

 I knew he was leading a happily married life with Natasha, she made him happy and I was happy for them both. For me, marriage was not something I looked forward to. Dad knew very well why I didn't want to get married. He was insisting on me for it, and I couldn't understand why. 

 "Dad, please," I said, pressing my eyelids together to block the memories flooding my mind.

 "Dawood, I can't see you wasting your life. I want to see you married to a lovely girl and with a house full of kids," Dad's voice was full of longing. 

 Kids?

 I don't think I was ever going to have my kids. This world was not a place for raising kids. I would be doing my kids a favor not bringing them into this bitchy world. I opened my eyes and looked at him with a plea in my eyes, I didn't want to hurt him but I had no choice.

 "Dad stop wishing for something that won't ever happen because I won't let it ever happen in my life," I crushed the hope in his eyes with which he was peering at me.