Chapter 6 - Building new Friendships

Annabeth's POV💖

It was halfway through the day now and I was sitting in the cafeteria with Amelie and her friend Jane listening to Amelie recount her version of what happened between me and Ryder in the morning. 

Her version was a very exaggerated narration of the incident where she was definitely portraying me as some kind of warrior princess. I let her go on and sit back watching her move her hands animatedly all the while enjoying that brief moment where for the first time in my life someone was portraying me as a fighter figure, rather than a damsel in distress like my mum would have liked me to be. 

I zone out from the conversation and look down at my hands on the table where I was playing around with my spoon dipped in the yogurt cup thinking back on how eventful today was. For some reason, I was yet to see Ryder and his friends ever since that incident where Dylan had hooked him in the face in the classroom. I was dreading running into him again but luckily he wasn't even in any of my remaining classes. Although I was initially happy when I didn't see him by the middle of the day I was sort of looking out for him. I wasn't sure why but I couldn't help but keep looking over my shoulder not knowing when he would turn up and start annoying me again.

I have to admit though that Ryder was the reason why I have this sort of celebrity status right now, I wasn't sure if it was for the right reasons, but everyone kept looking at me all morning and whispering things to each other. I was hoping that this would die down by lunch but I don't think anyone else had pulled any other stunt today to upstage my little celebrity status. So much for having a quiet first day being as invisible as possible. I sigh out loud and push the yogurt cup away from me on the table and lean down and rest my head on my folded arms my blonde hair tumbling over like a curtain over my face,  trying to drown out the noise. "Why why why..what is wrong with me .. why couldn't I just let things be ... but no I had to act up'' I keep mumbling over and over. 

Dylan has been escorting me to all my classes since today morning and while I would like to be flattered and think that it's only because he likes me I think it's got more to do with him using me as bait to drag out Ryder. 

He brought two of his huge football mates the whole time and I felt so claustrophobic being surrounded by them all the time that by lunchtime when he invited me to sit with him I politely refused and went to sit with Amelie to gain some sort of normalcy. Last thing I wanted to be surrounded by a bunch of football players treating me like I was some goat tied to a tree to lure a wolf out or something. By the time lunch rolled by I had already sworn to myself that I would avoid drama from now on and lead a very quiet and peaceful school life.

Hearing the sudden silence at my table I lift my head to look at Amelie and Jane who were giving me looks of concern. Amelie was a short brunette with a curly mop of hair and bright green eyes and her vivacious nature was what drew me to her first. 

She was sarcastic, funny, and witty and she really didn't care about her or my appearance which was what I really loved about her, because she actually was trying to get to know me. Plus I was also kinda jealous of how carefree she was. Jane on the other hand was quieter with long black hair and glasses, although she doesn't talk much I could tell that she was a sweet person as well. 

Right now Amelie was staring at me her green eyes filled with concern."Are you ok Annabeth, do you...do you wanna sit with those guys?'' She nods her head towards the table where Dylan, the jocks, and the cheerleaders were sitting. 

My eyes widen"What...No...never I like sitting with you guys. In fact, I think we should sit together every day..." I pause "that is if you guys don't mind'' I smile at both Amelie and Jane. Jane smiles back at me quickly. "Yes..yes of course" she pushes her glasses up her nose, a habit of hers that I have noticed which is very sweet.  we don't mind... you're not like the rest of them although you look like one of them" she smiled again softly.