Chapter 42 - Staying with him!

Annabeth POV

The entire ride back I was quiet, my brain was in overdrive trying to process what had just happened. I just couldn't believe that mum had hit me and that I was leaving home now with Ryder. I look at his side profile as he is driving to see his hands clenched on the steering wheel his face impassive. I could tell he was super mad and I could only imagine what he must be going through. Considering how he had lost his mother to violence and the way he risked everything to save a girl he didn't know from James just showed the person he was. I knew he wanted to ask a lot of questions but I think he was controlling himself to wait until I was ready to talk, or maybe perhaps he thought I didn't want to talk so he was giving me space.

Right now I had a pack of frozen peas that I was pressing to my face every once in five seconds to numb the pain on my cheekbone. He had stopped at a store on the way still not uttering a word and he had come back with a few soft drinks and this packet of peas which he had pressed to my face, his eyes briefly scanning my face in worry, and then he replaced my hand with his on it while he started the car and pulled out again before lighting up a cigarette. I wasn't a big fan of his smoking but I could tell that he needed some way of coping with his pent-up anger and I would rather he had a smoke right now than go out looking for a fight.  

I couldn't help but think about how our roles had reversed, usually, it was me looking after him when he was hurt after a fight but right now I was the battered one. I sigh as we drive along and although my face was hurting I was now wondering how Ryder put up with this pain on a regular basis. I wait for a few more seconds and decide to start the conversation, unlike him I wanted to talk to someone now that my tears had subsided. 

" Ryder" I wait for a response and when I don't get one I continue  "Where are we going? We have school tomorrow and I don't have any clothes..." Ryder turns to look at me "Ask Amelie to bring some clothes for you to school tomorrow or I can go pick it up for you early in the morning from her." He continues driving without another word and I sigh again "Ryder..."

He interrupts me "You are not fucking going back there Anna, not after what happened, I can't believe you didn't tell me that she hits you. Look, you're staying with me from now on and I will take you shopping for clothes and anything else you need tomorrow''

I sigh out again frustrated with the fact that he wasn't asking me what I wanted, although I figured that it was out of his care and concern for me it was still a tad bit annoying.

"Ryder I swear that this has never happened before, she always got drunk and at the most, she swore a bit but this was the first time that she got violent. Dylan...he called and told my mum about us, and he may have exaggerated a bit and said a lot of nasty stuff so she was super mad at me, I don't know what happened, but I kinda told her that it was my business who I dated and I think its because its the first time I have challenged her on something she snapped and..."

Ryder pulls into his driveway and he sits still for a few seconds, his head resting on the steering wheel before he turns around and looks at me "Stop fucking defending her Anna, I don't care if it's the first time or the hundredth time, it's equally bad. Stop making yourself the victim." 

He takes the bag of peas off my face and he looks at the bruise as his eyes darken with rage "Dylan is going to die tomorrow that is definite, and we are not going to talk about this anymore, you're staying with me, that's the end of this conversation" He steps out of his car while I sit there wordlessly processing what he just said.

Did I want to stay with him...I don't know. Not that there was anything wrong with staying with him, it's just that it was too soon. We had just started going out and although our connection was strong it just felt too soon, there were still so many things that we didn't know about each other, and rushing into this right now might destroy us before we even began. 

Right now though I was emotionally exhausted to fight with him so I decide to let the subject go for now and to bring it back up tomorrow. I need to speak to dad first and maybe for a few days, I will stay with Amelie. My mind is made up now, I step out of the car and look at him as he waits for me patiently. We go back into the house and once we cross the door he picks my up bridal style and takes me into his room. I squeal in surprise and lock my arms around him ''I am not an invalid you know'' I smile when he looks at me ''I know, I just want to make sure you're ok'' 

He lays me on the bed and disappears while I lay there still staring at the ceiling for a second before I pick my phone up which had now run out of charge and I put it on the charge to call my dad. 

I look back up to see him come back into the room with a cup of hot chocolate and I smile gratefully at him. He hands it to me and sits on the edge of his bed watching me carefully. He sighs and shakes his head and walks up to his cupboard. I watch as he pulls his shirt off and his jeans leaving him in just his boxers. I blush uncontrollably and look everywhere but at him. He turns around and smiles slyly at me " You can look princess it's all yours anyway " 

I throw a pillow at him and smile gratefully that the tension was dissipated now. He throws the pillow back and comes to me and takes my hand and leads me to the bathroom. "I've run a hot bath for you, and I've left a towel and some fresh clothes in there, why don't you take a hot shower and come out?" He kisses me lightly on the forehead before he leaves me there.

I step into the washroom and see a bath filled and smile at how thoughtful he was. I take all my clothes off and step into the hot water which was just right. I take a warm bath thinking again about everything that had just happened. From my mum's drunk ramblings I figured that Dylan had called her and said a lot of crap. He had gone so far as to say that Ryder was a criminal and that I was sleeping with him. What I was worried about now was that Ryder was going to get into a fight with Dylan and I needed to stop him. I dry myself and put on Ryder's signature black shirt that he had left me with his boxers. The boxers were loose on me so I leave them off blushing at the thought that I am going to be commando underneath but I can't bring myself to wear my dirty underwear plus the shirt was long enough that it reached my mid-thighs.

I dry my hair and walk out to see him laying on the bed with his eyes closed, once he hears me he leans on his arm and looks at me biting his lip 

"Damn it girl you look hot in my clothes" he gestures for me to come closer and I walk to him. He pulls me down and he takes the towel from my hand and starts drying my hair for me. I look at him and smile at him. He leans up and looks at the discoloration under my eye and I can feel the rage bubbling in him. I lean in and kiss his lips softly. He pulls back and looks at me for a second before he leans in and starts kissing me hungrily. He pulls me on top of him and runs his hands all over my body. He puts his hand into my shirt and reaches up to my bareback before he groans when he realizes that I don't have a bra or panties on. He picks me up and puts me back on the bed  and pulls down my shirt as he gathers me to him and cuddles into me his face close to mine

 ''As much as I want to continue this princess, and as tempting as you are with nothing on underneath, I am going to stop, because you've had a long day and you need to rest, Goodnight my angel'' he kisses my lips softly before I curl into his warmth and close my eyes glad that I had him in my life.