Chapter 38 - Reconciliations

Ryder POV 🐯

I had woken up quite early and was on my way back to Colton's place right now. The entire ride back, all I could think about was Anna and how she had been so understanding last night when I told her about my past. To be honest, I was pretty certain that she would run for the hills once I told her about my past but the girl always surprised me, she took it in really well and I think if anything she cared for me more than before now. Last night was one of the best nights of sleep that I've had, wrapped up in her arms, that I really wanted to come home to her every night.

When I left her she was still sleeping and I didn't want to wake her up so I left a note for her on the bedside table telling her I'll see her in school. But before I left I had snuck into her drawer and slowly taken that photo that she had kept of her and that boy Jeremy or something from her old school and I tore it into a hundred pieces and threw it out. I knew I was acting like a jealous fool but I just didn't want her to have any memories of any other boy apart from me. Ever since I had seen it the first time in her drawer I had wanted to set it on fire. But back then we weren't together so I controlled the urge. Right now that we were together I couldn't control myself from destroying it. She most probably wouldn't realize it was gone, I mean she had no reason to have to go looking for that photo right. 

Instead of going back to mine, once I snuck out of her window I decided to go to Colton's place because I knew he would be waiting for him. I had asked me to organize a meet-up with some of the gang members tonight who were loyal to me to try and figure out what James was up to but after that fight with Anna, I couldn't bring myself to do anything. I swear this girl was driving me crazy. So I'd asked Colton to still continue on with the meeting and to give me an update while I was going to go and grovel for forgiveness from my girlfriend. Girlfriend, I couldn't help but smile at the thought that she was mine. I park the bike and I run up the stairs. When I open the door I find Colton on the couch watching tv and waiting patiently for me.  He looked up and nodded at me while he turned the TV off and swung his legs off the couch into a sitting position. 

I pull up a chair and sit across from him "Did it go well?'' I look at him curiously. 

Colton shakes his head "You should have been there man, they wanted to see you not me, they weren't too happy that you were a no show, but I told them that you had some business to sort and kinda covered for you this time, next time you better be there''

I smile at Colton gratefully "Thanks man, Were they able to tell you what he's up to?"

Colton just shook his head again "They dont know for sure, but they said they'll keep a watch over her, and also that they'll keep their ears and eyes open to find out what James has planned,  as soon as they know, they'll let us know... There was also one other thing..." Colton stops and looks at me with concern. 

I urge him to complete his sentence ''What is it?" 

He twists his face and continues "They want you to take over Ryder, although you're young, they feel you'll do better than James, apparently ever since Lilah's left he's been acting irrationally, like a psycho, making all the wrong choices ... a majority of them think you should be the next one to take over especially... " he stops then sighs and continues " because your dad was supposed to be next in line if he hadn't... died...plus the fact that they think you'll kill if it comes down to it without batting an eyelid and makes them feel like you would be the natural choice'' He looks at me intently.

I flinch and then frown my lips twisted in a disgusting smile and I laugh humourlessly "I remind them of my dad, and they think that I'm a cold-blooded murderer who'll roll around in blood,  fuckers dont know what they are asking for... plus that life is not for me Colton you know we're trying to set ourselves straight and I've been distancing myself from that shit for a while now, plus with Anna in the picture..." 

Colton interrupts me his face impassive 'With Anna in the picture it might be the best decision Ryder, we won't have to keep looking over our shoulder the whole time, we can take over if we want to right now, James is not in his right senses and everyone is starting to realize that, plus all the jobs we pulled off for the gang has created enough clout for us" 

He pauses and stares straight into my eyes before continuing  "Also can you really imagine us doing a 9-5 job sitting in offices in suits.. tallying accounts or graphs or what not" 

I laugh out loud and watch Colton's eyes as he looks away and almost smiles. I just shake my head "I dont know Colton, let's just keep our eyes and ears open and well see what happens, I just dont want to get into this business, there is no way out once we're in you know that right?" 

I honestly did not want to run a gang, that was the last thing on my mind, plus the fact that they thought I was like my father was pissing me off. I was nothing like that asshole who barely spoke a word to me. I still remember the days when he would fight with mom and how he would scream about the fact that I was too feminine because she protected me from his beatings and not man enough to carry on his legacy. Well, right now I didn't want anything to do with his legacy even if it came knocking on my door. Plus I cant even imagine Anna dealing with that world, she would probably faint. 

Colton stares at me unsmilingly again. I wonder when this guy would show any emotion and that's when his eyes soften "Is she okay?"

I smile back at him "Yea she is good, I told her about some of my past and she took it well" 

Colton nods back in agreement and I can tell that he's happy although he doesn't show it. He stands up and stretches "Alright, I'm off to bed, we have school tomorrow. Are you staying here or going back to yours ?"

I try to stifle the yawn that escaped me "Yea I'll kick back here for tonight" Colton starts to walk off to his room as I get comfortable on the couch when he turns back "Ah, there is something else they told me. They were pretty certain that James has someone in school who's keeping a close watch on you and her, that's all they knew, no names yet, but they are digging for one, so yea we need to be careful"

I jump off the couch in super speed and rush towards Colton ''Is it you Colton, have you gone to the dark side, are you spying on us?" I lunge at him in mock anger and watch as Colton pushes me back onto the couch and shakes his head

 "I swear you're getting less serious and more annoying with every day that passes, if the gang saw you like this they would never even think about you leading them.." he mumbles and walks off as I settle on the couch. Closing my eyes I think about Anna and her sweet innocent smile and her perfect body. I groan in frustration and put the pillow over my head and close my eyes.