6. Familiar Strangers

There were always near misses. Where the Doctor would pass by so close and yet not enough to meet me too early.

On the day I turned 18, I came across a strange old woman. Her song was thunderous and familiar. I had yet to figure out why one song could match different faces.

The lady had been crossing one of the busy streets in London when a honk seemed to frighten her. Her grocery bags slipped from her grasp, crashing to the ground. I gave a disapproving gaze at the other passerby who gave the woman only a brief glance of pity but not bothering to stop. So I ran forward.

"May I help?"

Intense sky blue eyes peered from beneath large circle glasses, "Yes, dearling, please do."

I picked up the broken bag and tried to rescue as much of the food before tucking it beneath my arm and offering the lady my elbow.

"Could I help you home, ma'am?"

"Oh my dear, please call me Mrs Lovett."

I walked alongside the old woman and answered her questions about my life, never giving more than surface answers.

It was not the intensity of the woman that warned me, instead it was the sense of possible danger, and an odd sense of belonging that unnerved me.

It was strange because I was sure I had not met the old woman before.

The song that ran through my mind was familiar like the echo of drums.

I should have been more careful than to take food from a stranger but at the time I was more wondering why she gave me a familial feeling I only got from mum, Mickey and sometimes Aunt Jane.

The tea the older woman offered was sweet, almost too sweet leaving behind an odd aftertaste in my mouth.

The room spun around me, "What?"

I fell back, my chair rocked behind me but before I crashed to the ground I was caught in a wiry hold.

"It's ok, lil Rose. I'll make sure the big bad Doctor doesn't come and get you."

I came too slowly. It felt as if I were navigating through a thick fog, my mind sluggish. There were voices somewhere nearby but I couldn't completely make them out. My limbs felt heavy and one of my hands felt as if it was bound.

Cold hands held out it in an iron grip.

As I couldn't seem to open my eyes yet, I tried to listen in instead.

A woman's voice that wasn't the old woman's came in short bursts of dialogue,

"...know very well...can't touch..."

A low laugh came from my side, making the iron grip tremble.

I recognized the laugh as the old woman's.

"Promise me."

"I promise." A sigh, and heavy steps. "CJ, Let's get her home."

My mum would go on and on about the debonair looking man that brought me home, after I'd 'passed out in the street.' Tall, flirty and handsome mum would say.

The next day when I was looking for my keys in the jacket I had worn the previous day I found a crisp white envelope.

"To: Rose Tyler" on the front, the paper crinkled as I opened it eyebrows furrowed. I sat back on my bed in shock at the check inside for £18,000. 'For your adventures' was written in sloping cursive in the 'for' category.

My mum came over, "What is it sweetheart?" She took the envelope and checked out of my hand, "Oh my god."

I whispered the name of the check giver, "Malynn Lovett..."

"Mum, I'm going over to Mickey's."

After opening his door with the spare he kept under the mat, for me and my mum, I sat in front of his computer.

After a quick search of the meaning of the two names, a song whispered in my mind as I whispered, "Bad little wolf."

The only clue I would have before my adventures would begin soon was when a man with desperate eyes wished me a happy new year, "2005 will be a great year

The only clue I would have before my adventures would begin soon was when a man with desperate eyes wished me a happy new year, "2005 will be a great year."