53. Ship Inception

The Doctor had gone with the Captain to check Sexy out.

Astrid, the boy, and I were left with the remaining two pirates.

I didn't like how they looked at us with abject fear and disdain.

Astrid was talking with the boy and I stood over them, feeling like a protective mother bear.

I eyed the pirates right back, staring them down until they looked the other way. I watched them glance at each other before beginning to unblock the door.

"So you are running?"

"We are not staying to mollycoddle the boy. The Captain's gone soft. It's time for us to leave."

The coughing paused as the boy stood, his eyes glaring at the pirates.

"He told you to wait, you dog."

"Toby, hold on its best...." Astrid tried to hold back but paused as she saw the pair of puppy dog eyes turned on her. "Let them go, Toby."

Toby turned toward the sailors, his hoarse voice hardening, "He's your captain. He's a naval officer. You are honour-bound to do as he says."

"Honour-bound?" The pirate leaned forward, dashing Toby's dreams of his father. "We sail under the black flag. The Jolly Roger."

"Liar!"

I caught Toby and turned my own glare towards the pirate.

"You've said your piece, now go!"

"I don't listen to no doxy, no matter their fancy words."

The paranoid one with oily hair pulled at the other. "We should go."

I watched them leave before I closed my eyes. I searched out the Doctor's mind; a surge of worry, relief and inquiry came back. I sent the thought, 'Be careful, mutiny is afoot."

It wasn't long after the pirates that gunshots ran out through the ship. The siren's call and the screams of the pirates came afterwards.

The warbling sound of the siren neared.

My eyes widened. "Toby?"

I turned as I watched the siren come from the reflection of the medal around his neck.

"Don't be afraid." I looked at Toby and Astrid. "She won't hurt you."

Pounding on the door had me opening it for the Doctor and the Captain.

The captain jumped forward, grabbing his son's hand, "Toby, stand back."

"It won't hurt, father."

"I trust her." Astrid's voice was cloudy and I couldn't tell if she was speaking of me or the siren.

Astrid touched the siren, vanishing with a gasp.

We ran through the ship toward its front and the captain's cabin, where all reflective surfaces had been taken out.

The captain still wouldn't trust us.

I laid down on the cots provided as the Doctor went out and talked to the captain starboard.

It wasn't long before the ship rocked harder than before.

The captain shouted instructions as the remaining three of us made it onto the deck.

I looked at the Doctor, "What should we do?"

"Follow along for now. I have a feeling we aren't going anywhere with this ship too."

Rain spattered against the deck, getting into our eyes as we tried to follow the captain's rough orders.

The ship rocked as the Doctor, and I was able to get a sail unfurled.