37. Visits from the Future (Part 1)

It would seem I was on the long haul.

Somehow I knew my younger self would receive a small inheritance from me in the future, and I knew I must have saved that same self alongside CJ from Mrs Lovett in the future.

If these were all true, then I was in for a long wait through time before I could rejoin the Doctor again in his present but my future.

A couple of months before Neil Armstrong walked on the moon in 1969, Jack came through our Corner Shop Cafe's doors.

"Hello sweet cheeks!"

I looked behind checking for Nan, she could get particular about people getting to know me.

I went to the register only for Jack to reach forward and grab my face and give me a smooch. I pursed my lips before giving him a wobbly smile, "Hello Jack."

"Oy, what's with that sad smile. It's like you haven't seen me in forever." He tucked a stray tendril of hair behind my ear. "How long has it been?"

"I accidentally jumped from 1953 to 1963, leaving the Doctor behind."

"Can't you jump again? Or better I'll take you."

"I..." I hesitated.

"Now who's this, dearling?"

I barely held back a wince before looking behind me at Mrs Lovett, her eyes stared at Jack with a menacing glint.

"This is my old friend Jack."

"Oh yes, your pet."

This time I winced.

"Ooh I didn't know you liked that kind of play, Rose."

I smacked him on the arm, a blush rising on my cheeks.

Mrs Lovett went out from behind the corner and took Jack by the arm, "I think this gentleman needs a talking to."

I looked worriedly after the two.

"Be careful, Jack."

"I'll be right back sweetcheeks."

He wasn't, he wouldn't be back for many years.

A day after the moon landing, I felt Sexy reaching out to me

A day after the moon landing, I felt Sexy reaching out to me. She had landed nearby. There had been many versions of her to pass between 1963 and 1969 but this time she was one of the oldest.

She spoke in my mind, 'There's another near you. Have you forgotten me sister?'

'Never Sexy'.

I looked outside and saw the familiar back of the Doctor leaning against the TARDIS parked across the road.

The jingle of our door's bells was heard and I looked over to see 'Martha Jones', according to her Mind Palace door, walk through.

A bittersweet smile appeared on my lips.