<21>

Whatever you may look like, marry a man your own age - as your beauty fades, so will his eyesight.

My eyes moved from Aza's one eye to another, trying to find something - anything that would tell me of his plans but this man, smart-witted and strong showed nothing other than a spark of mischief

"You remember? I told you about a spy among us and would you look at that, I finally found him." I gulped.

One of his hands rested on my wounded shoulder, daring me to move while the the other pressed the dagger to my throat. My hand had grabbed onto his wrist, trying to push the dagger away from my lifeline but it had no effect.

As if I was trying to push a wall.

I did not even have a weapon on me if I decided to defend. Did I trust this man that much to leave my weapon back at the small house?

"You thought I would not notice? You pretended to be mute, took the identity of Amir Hamza, and led people to believe that you were the Amir. A perfect position to fool the nation without being questioned, if you are not the spy, then who is?"

Aza brought his face closer, his lips inches away from my ear, and whispered, "You are not even a man, are you?"  A short laugh escaped his lips, a hint of threat lacing it.

My heart lurched to my throat.

How- how did he know!? How long had he known!?

He stared deep into my eyes, waiting to see if I rejected any of his accusations.

I didn't - I couldn't!

"Sahab, you can come out now." Aza suddenly called out and the bushes from the side rustled.

My eyes did not dare to leave Aza's, afraid he would swipe the dagger any second, letting me bleed out.

The little sleep that weighed down on my eyes had completely vanished and my throat had dried.

The man whom I had encountered many times before closed in on us.

"I knew he was not the Amir! The moment I saw you, such an eyesore! You were the spy." Aza pulled the dagger away and took a step back, my life that stood on the edge came back slightly but not for long and Sahab took Aza's place, stepping closer to me. 

I hunch down when a punch is awarded to my stomach and my eyes shut close, all the while trying to bite back the scream that had formed at the back of my throat.