<25>

You love flowers, but you cut them. You love animals, but you eat them. You tell me you love me, so now I'm scared!

It was night, the stars were ruling the sky yet again, and I could only stare at the battlefield on which the sun had lost.

I was tired of tending to the guests all day long, and now all I wanted was alone time.

The large square cutout in my room allowed the wind to sweep into my room and send shivers down my spine.

The stars look brighter tonight.

Sighing, I climbed into my bed.

Almost under the daze of heavy sleep, a light thud on the ground right outside of my room pulled me away from my most-needed rest.

The caution and hypersense that I left on the battlefield seemed to come back for a few moments and fill my body with vigilance.

Could it be the thieves?

My mind turned cogs, and I grabbed my small dagger from under my pillow. The hard and rough object digging into my skin already.

Peeling the covers slowly off myself, I crawl on my knees to the window and slowly raise my head to look outside the large cutout with a batter angle.

Just wind, no one else.

Just as the thought crossed my mind, a blur of black flashed in front of my eyes, and they widened.

Definitely someone.

My mind hazed, and my eyes focused on their target. Propelling myself up on my hands, I push my body out of the window, large enough to let me through to the other side.

The rough grass tickled my bare feet when I landed as quietly and softly as possible. Tiny crickets sang as usual, and the rustling leaves joined their choir as well.

Though anything but peace enveloped my strangled mind,

My careful gaze looked around to find the source of the black blur, but it was as if they had disappeared, whoever it was.

Gulping down the saliva that had gathered in my mouth, I took a step forward.

Slowly.

I was walking towards the corner of my house, with a large tree looming right above.

The cool air nudged me, maybe telling me to turn around, but my heart and brain urged me to move and uncover the mysterious black blur.

Was someone spying on us?

Pushing my head into the corner, my eyes assessed the backside of our house, but there was no one. I stepped on the horizontal pathway, my eyes gliding from one side to another.

My breath hitched when someone behind me landed on the ground with a thud.

My body knew it was someone behind me, and so it twisted itself, my hand clutching the metal weapon tightly.