<23>

It's amazing how one day someone walks into your life, and then the next day you wonder how you lived without them.

Khulaid had picked up pace once we were nearing my house. The sun was ready to go down and allow the moon to take over.

It would not have taken so long if we had not been moving slowly. I know Khulaid was being careful and considerate with me by not rushing the horses.

He was not aware of the fact that I did know how to handle a horse running, and I did not bring it to his knowledge either. I cannot let another man figure me out just because of my recklessness.

"There! That's my house." Closing in towards my house, a mysterious ache settles in my heart, and countless thoughts try to play out the next scene.

"It's quiet." Khulaid whispers, taking in the house. I noticed it too. It was indeed very silent, yet I still dismounted my horse.

Khulaid climbs off the horse aswell and walks to the door, knocking loudly.

"Anyone in there!"

Shuffling is heard from inside the house, and after a moment, the door opens. I immediately evert my gaze, unable to look whoever opened the door in the eyes.

"Yes?" It was the voice of my father.

"Khulaid? What are you doing here?" Usman calls out, and my heart clenches again.

"Usman! This is your house?" I squeeze my eyes shut, and my heart, for some reason, drums harder and swells up.

How long has it been since I heard their voices?

"I- I found this girl near the southern bor-"

"Hoor?" My eyes popped open, my heart went silent, and tears started to burn my eyes. I slowly moved my head to face my mother.

In that moment, I realized I cared about none but her.

Dark puffiness rested under her old eyes, and her mouth was agape.

"Ammi." I ran.

My feet had a mind of their own as they carried me over to my mother, who seemed as if she had spent nights crying and praying for me.

Oh Ammi, my dear Ammi! I have put you through a lot! Forgive me.

My mother's warm embrace swallowed me whole, and I could not control the sob that broke out.