#97 Max - X-mas party at Horners'

NARRATOR POV: After long and tiring season, Christian and Geri decided to host a christmas party for the team members and mutual friends. One of the invited, was of course, their "grid-son" and a 3x World Champion, Max Verstappen. As he received his invitation, he couldn't think of anyone better to accompany him than Mackenzie Bontempo, his confidant and closest friend ever since he remembered. To have an oportunity to ask, he invited her over to his house in Monaco.
-Kenz, want to be my date for Christian's Christmas party in two weeks?- Max asked, grinning mischievously at her. Mackenzie chuckled, knowing full well the game Max was playing.
-Sure, Max. As long as I get to see you trying to dance to Christmas songs!- she made her only request, mirroring his mischievous smile. Hearing that, Max rolled his eyes playfully.
-Deal. But hey, let's make it more fun. We can pretend we're a couple, mess with everyone a bit. Besides, everyone will be wondering why I don't have a partner for so long now...
-You could say you took Lewis's example and focused on racing- she shrugged, giggling at his annoyed, telling her she's bat-shit crazy gaze.
-Sounds like a plan- she finally agreed.
-Thank you!
After that they spent amazing day together, also planning a bit for the party. After all, they need to look convincing enough...?!

2 WEEKS LATER
THE DAY OF THE PARTY

As they arrived at Christian Horner's lavish house, the air was filled with the festive spirit. The place was adorned with twinkling lights, a towering Christmas tree, and a merry atmosphere that enveloped everyone.
-Max! Hey! How nice to see you again Kenzie!- Geri greeted them, beaming.
-Nice to see you too Geri- Kenzie replied and gave the older woman a hug.
-You're glowing this days Ger- Max also gave the Ginger Spice a tight hug.
-Max, Kenzie! You made it!- Christian came to them as well, to say hi and angage both in a conversation, soon after joined by Checo and Marisol as well. So far, it looked like amazing evening...

.....
So far, so good, Max and Mackenzie played their parts well, laughing and exchanging playful glances that intrigued the guests, along with loving touches and small whispers. Christian Horner, always perceptive, seemed to eye them with a knowing look but said nothing.
-Your dress is amazing!- Geri complemented her, liking how the wine red floor lenght dress with spanish neckline and open back looked on Mackenzie. With her hair down and silver jewelery along with burgundy red and silver heels, she really looked stunning.
-You look amazing too. White is definitely your color!
-Thank you so much. But, I want to know one thing...
-What's that?- Max asked, holding Kenzie's hand in his, keeping her close.
-How this happened?
-How what happened?- they asked back, confused.
-This. You two, together!
-Darling...- Christian chuckled, almost laughing at his wife's antics.
-What? Our Maxie is finally happy with someone worth his heart!- her words made the pair blush -So? How did that happen?
-Well...
-You want to say, or shall I?- Kenzie turned to Max, searching his eyes. That was it, the make it or break it of their little charade.
-You can do it Schats- Max smiled at her, grateful. Truth to be told, he's not the best liar and lots of people know that pretty well, the Horners' included.
-We spent some time together during the summer break, with our friends and realised that we cannot live apart anymore. We talked under the moonlight on the deck one night and confessed our shared feelings. The rest is history- Kenzie told them the story they agreed on, smiling softly, as she let Max wrap his arm around her waist and pull her close to him.
-That's amazing! Congrats you guys!- Geri was really happy, gave them tight hugs and honest to god, squeald like a little girl, making Christian laugh.

.....
As the night progressed, amidst the music and laughter, Max and Mackenzie found themselves stealing moments away from the crowd, chatting by the fireplace or sneaking out to the beautifully decorated garden for a brief moment of fresh air.
In one such quiet moment under the starlit sky, Mackenzie gazed at Max and smiled.
-You know, this pretending thing... it's not too bad...- Max looked back, his eyes holding a warmth that spoke volumes.
-Yeah, it's been... fun- he agreed, feeling how his heart races in his chest. Truth to be told, he loves her a lot for a long time now, but he's too scared to tell her, and god forbid, loose her in the process. That way, being friends with her, is way better than not having her at all...
There was a brief pause, a silence filled with unspoken words hanging in the air. And then, as if on cue, they both realized the truth behind their playful charade.
-Ok... Out with it...
-Out with what?- Mackenzie heard his words, confused and slightly scared. Scared to loose one of the most important people in her life. And the nervousness on Max's face didn't help...
-Kenz...- Max began, his voice soft and for the first time in his life, unsure -There's something I need to tell you...
Mackenzie looked at him, anticipation written on every line of their face.
-I...
-You can tell me anything in the whole world, remember? What is it?- she decided to be biger person, and comfort him, even tho his next words might hurt her terribly and brake her heart.
-I know...- they shared small smile, as Kenzie massaged his stiff shoulder in comforting manner.
-I think I might have feelings for you that go beyond friendship- Max finally confessed, his heart pounding in ancipation, but also felt as if big rock was lifted from his shoulders. Mackenzie's eyes widened, emotions swirling within.
-Max, I've felt the same way!
-Huh?
-Yeah!- The tension melted away, replaced by a sense of relief and an overwhelming surge of joy. They laughed nervously, their hands finding each other's in the gentlest of touches, as their gaze never left one anothers' eyes.
-Since when?
-Probably ever since you joined F1? I don't know really... I was sure when you won your first championship 3 years ago...!
-O my god...
-What?
-I can't believe we've been dancing around this for so long! We could be at least 3 years together now!- Max exclaimed, swinging their joined hands back and forth, making Kenzie giggle.
-That's probably true...
-But?
-We'll never know. Besides, there is no better time like the prezent..
-Yeah...

And just like that, amidst the twinkling lights and the festive cheer, Max Verstappen and Mackenzie Bontempo embraced their true feelings, letting go of pretenses to embrace their newfound love.
As they walked back inside, hand in hand, the knowing smile on Christian Horner's face confirmed what he had suspected all along. Love had found its way in the most unexpected place, under the starry skies of a Christmas night. And for Max and Mackenzie, this holiday season marked the beginning of a beautiful new chapter in their lives.
THE END

Something Christmassy but still cute!
I hope you like it!
Have a nice day! / Goodnight!
F.