Chapter 23

"But you didn't have to cut me off,  make out like it never happened and that we were nothing and I don't even need your love but you treat me like a stranger"
    ‎    - Afika Nxumalo

In the office, the couple returned sans romance.  The people around them could see the ES as efficient as ever, always there for her husband/boss but they could see something's amissed.  Their boss still kissed his ES wife but they were perfunctory, just for show.

As long as the office was smooth sailing and thriving, they did not care whether the two were at odds with each other.  But sometimes, they felt the heat and mood swings of the boss which weren't there before. Other than that, business as usual.

The only one affected was Lorrie because she could feel the tension. She was worried for Chelsea who became distant and cold to the love of her life.

"I knew how you're feeling but don't you think you're going too far in punishing him.  I love you both but why not give him another chance. He learned his lesson."

"I don't know I am still hurting that I don't know if I can forgive him or love him again."  Chelsea forgot to turn off the intercom. Trey heard everything and he was hurt.

He got out of his office without saying anything to the two.  He went home directly and failed to attend his meeting.

"I'm sorry he had to attend to a pressing matter. I'll remind him about the next meeting. Our apologies." Chelsea told the ES of the President.

When she was finished, "That was Gretchen. Trey did not go to his meeting with the President." she informed Lorrie.

"See, what you're doing to him is ruining his entire life.  Eventually, it might affect Agie. I know you wouldn't want that."

When she got home, Agatha was in the living room sulking. "Hi mommy, what's wrong with daddy?  He locked himself in your room and won't talk to me. I'm hungry."

"Where's Alice?"

"I left my bag in the school bus so she went back."

"Don't worry, angel. I'll cook your favorite dish."

"What's wrong with daddy? I heard him sobbing. Are you quarreling?"

"No, angel. As soon as you get to bed, I'll talk to him. Maybe he's not feeling well."

When Agatha was already sleeping, Chelsea knocked on their room. "Trey?" He did not answer.  She listened for any movement, she could not hear anything. She got her key and unlocked their door.

The room was in darkness and she saw Trey sitting in one of the settees.  "You're drinking? Agie was worried you locked the door."

"Do you care? I didn't want what happened to our unborn child. My jealousy and over possessiveness got the better of me. But that's how much I love you. I couldn't bear to see anyone touching you."

"You're drunk, Trey!"

"Yes for the first time in my life I am drunk because I heard my wife said that she could never forgive me or love me again. What was I supposed to do?  Be happy about it?" he continued saying, "The first time you hurled hurting words to me, I tried to understand because you just got back from the hospital. I could understand your hurt. Why couldn't you understand mine. That was my baby, too. I lost him without knowing that you were carrying him. I knew it was my fault. But how long will I be punished for it, Chelsea?"

"Go to sleep, Trey. We'll talk tomorrow." Was Chelsea's only reply.

"Don't leave me, Chelsea. Just this once."

"Alright but I'll prepare some soup. Have some so your drunkenness will wash out."

He let her go. When she came back, she gave him the soup. Then she went to get a towel and a basin of cold water. When he was finished with the soup, Chelsea dabbed the towel on his face and neck. Never once did his eyes leave her face.

Chelsea couldn't look at him directly for fear that she would give in to him. Trey broke the silence, "Thank you for doing this, Mrs. Paraiso."
.
"You take your rest, now."

"Please lay beside me, Mrs. Paraiso."

She laid beside him and when he fell asleep, Chelsea went back to the guest room. She was thinking of what Lorrie and Trey told her. "Was she really unfair to Trey? I lost our baby because of his petty jealousy. I really don't know how to go back to how we used to be."