°Chapter 17°

I reached the cafe, taking deep breaths to let the air get back to my lungs. I looked up at the bold sign which read 'Hot Coffee'. It was a plain name but it was really cute and cosy inside and no one really went there so it was a good place to just relax and do homework.

I stood back up, letting my arms hang limply by my sides as I glanced inside. It looked like there were no more than seven people in there and I drew in a deep breath before releasing it.

I pushed the slightly heavy door open, causing the small bell above me to ring as I slipped in, immediately feeling the warmth brush across my arms. Even with my baggy hoodie on, I felt cold. It was just becoming dark and cold as it was around 6pm in the evening.

I kept my hood on, covering my face to make sure no one saw, as I pulled my sleeves over my hands to warm them up.

I glanced around, spotting many free seats at the counter. I walked over and sat down, sending a small smile at the nice, young waitress, before adverting my eyes to the counter so she couldn't get a good look at my face. Her name was Skylar and she was a really nice lady. She always beamed with happiness and it was, honestly, contagious.

"Hi Sky, do you have a phone I could borrow?" I asked, only giving her a quick side glance, setting my bag down on the floor, and she nodded, her eyes gleaming with curiosity but nodded nonetheless and was about to run to the back but paused, staring back at me.

"Are you okay? Is there anything I could help with at all?" She asked, sweetly, but I smiled and shook my head, declining her offer.

"Thanks but I just need to call someone." I told her and she was about to leave again, turning on her heel but paused again when she heard a voice, coming from behind me.

"She won't need to call anyone, thank you." I breathed a sigh of relief and picked up my bag from the floor, muttering a quick "thank you" and "bye" to Skylar before walking past my two brothers, dropping the bag into Blake's hands, catching him off guard.

I walked out of the door but before I could walk off down the street towards Luke's car, my arm was pulled back, not completely surprising me.

"What took you so long?" Luke asked, a slight hint of irritation evident in his voice, making me roll my eyes as I kept my eyes fixated on the concrete.

"I decided to stop by and have a tea party." I stated, sarcasm dripping from each word and I could feel his eyes burning holes through my head. "I walked into some... difficulties, on the way." I told him, truthfully, trying to rip my arm out of his iron grip but he wasn't having my answer and just tightened his hold.

"What difficulties, Emily?" He growled and I could picture the scowl on his face as I shrugged my shoulders at him.

"Mom, my stepdad." I sighed, squirming under their gaze. "Can you stop staring at me? It's making me uncomfortable." I mumbled to them, under my breath, but I could tell that none of them stopped looking at me.

"What happened?" Luke asked and I bit my lip, letting a tense silence fall over us as I tried to think of situations which would be totally different from what actually happened. I definitely wasn't going to open up to them again, I was stupid to have done that in the first place.

"Nothing." I answered, lamely, and it came out as a question, making it obvious that something had happened. I mentally face-palmed myself, shooting sarcastic praises for my reply.

My hood was suddenly yanked from over my head and I gasped as Luke, swiftly, lifted my chin up so he could inspect my face. His eyes darkened as he took in my fresh cuts and bruises.

"I told you." I whispered to him, chuckling drily. "I said that this would happen but you didn't listen to me because I'm just a stupid teenager who doesn't know anything, right?" I scoffed when he didn't say anything and snatched my arm from his hold before storming towards the car and getting into the back.