°Chapter 25°

I could practically feel my heart in my throat as I stared at the picture, seeming incapable of adverting my eyes to anything other that the familiar, fading face in front of me. It was as if it was mocking me.

To say I was shocked was understanding but I was on the verge of an unfamiliar panic attack. I wasn't scared or upset I was just so shocked to see who the person was.

"Emily?" Luke called out to me, drawing my attention back to reality. I felt my breathing become even more heavy as my older brother ducked under the tree.

I stood frozen in place, the diary clutched tightly to my chest. He stared at me before looking at the book, his eyes widening in panic. He started towards me, reaching his hand out to try and grab the book but I turned away from him.

"I thought I got rid of that." He muttered to himself, probably thinking he wasn't speaking aloud. I just continued to stare at him, not really knowing what to say to him. "Emily." He sighed. "Give me the book." Once again, he reached his hand out but I just held it tighter.

"She said she loved you - who was she?" I asked him and when he didn't answer, I opened the diary again, flipping through pages, seeing as their story grew bigger and they fell in love. I was reaching the end of the book and I could feel my heart drop in the chest as I reached the last two pages.

He said he never loved me. It was just a fucking bet...

The page had spots of blood dotted all over the pages, almost absorbing all of the white, turning it red. My fingers traced over the words and I felt the tears prickle my eyes, my heart throbbing for the poor girl.

"You never loved her?" I asked and I heard him growl as he snatched the diary from my hands, throwing it at the tree. He raised his foot ready to kick at it but I quickly got in the way, making the kick land on my stomach.

"Fuck, Emily! Why did you get in the way?" He scowled and I stared him dead in the eyes, not even feeling the pain. I felt angry that he could cause such pain to someone. I was so shocked that - even though he was a nice guy sometimes - he would break a girl's heart.

"Don't tell me..." I trailed off and his eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. I let out a shaky breath and I gestured my hand towards the book, thinking back to the last page which had blood on it. "She killed herself?" I finished and his face paled, telling me he knew the answer and didn't want to tell me but based on the expression that showed on his face, I already knew the answer.

"It wasn't my fault, Emily. She was going through a lot and that was probably the wrong time to tell her but-" I stopped him with a humourless chuckle. I didn't know how he could defend himself, how he didn't feel any guilt towards the suicide that was prevented in the situation.

"You have no excuse to why you did what you did. You broke a girl's heart for a bet? How could you be so stupid? So heartless?" I started my rant, feeling the anger build up more and more inside of me. I was so mad that I was related to such a player.

"Hear me out-" He tried to cut in, as if his words would make the whole situation a lot better, but I snapped at him, probably pushing it too far over the edge.

"You caused a suicide!" I screamed and everything seemed to go deadly silent as soon as I had spoken. I drew in short gasps of air as I watched Luke's face turn from pale and empathetic to angry and sharp. He took the last two strides towards me, closing the gap between us.

"I'd shut that mouth of yours if I were you." He snapped but when I tried to take a step away from him, he grabbed my arms, keeping me where I was. I felt a lot more uneasy but still decided to speak up to him.