°Chapter 21°

Emily's P.O.V

"Knock knock." A gentle voice called softly and I glanced up from the random book that I had found. I smiled at my father and closed my book shut as he walked into the room, sitting on the edge of my bed. "How are you holding up? Especially since the incident. I don't think I've ever yelled at the boys so much." He gave me a small, sad smile. "We don't really see you around anymore, you're always hiding somewhere."

"Yeah..." I trailed off, giving him a sad smile of my own which caused his to falter slightly as a little frown etched onto his face.

"Is something wrong, sweetheart?" He asked, concern laced in his voice and I sighed, shaking my head. I forced a bigger smile up onto my face as I locked eyes with him.

"I'm fine, dad."

"You obviously aren't, Em. Don't forget that I'm your dad and I know when something's up." He pulled my fiddling hands away from the book and clutched them in his own, as I bit my lip. "You can tell me anything. Is it your brothers? I can talk to them if you want-" I cut him off with a sigh.

"It's not them, it's just they're also worried about me and want to know but I can't tell anyone." I cleared my throat to keep my voice from cracking as I averted my eyes to my lap, not wanting to look at the deepened frown on my father's face.

"Tell you what, let's go out for some ice cream." He got off the bed, patting my covered feet, and before I could protest, he sent me a silencing look, which I was used to. "Don't even think about refusing because it's obvious that you've gotten thinner." He pointed his finger at me, his tone stern and I mentally groaned.

Why do they focus on my weight?

Because you need to start losing some of that fat. They're only saying stuff like "eat more" so they can make fun of you. My conscience taunted in a 'duh' tone and I bit my lips, the insecurity wrapping around my lungs as if they were threatening me. Go if you want, just don't eat it.

"O-okay but not a lot." I told him and he nodded with a satisfied smile as he walked out of the door, leaving me to trail behind, the guilt gnawing at my insides.

.........................................

I snorted with laughter when my dad tripped as he was coming back to the table with the ice creams. He muttered a curse under his breath at the child who stuck his foot out and the mother gave him a horrified look.

"Oops sorry, must have slipped out of my mouth." He grinned, both apologetically and sheepishly at the woman who tutted, shaking her head at my dad.

"Damn, thought I was gonna lose my head for a second then." My dad smirked as he sat down, setting my small vanilla ice cream down in front of me.

"Don't worry, the worst she could do was hit you with her purse." I laughed and he chuckled. I smiled already enjoying my time with my dad, knowing that my brothers couldn't ruin the moment, pestering me.

A moment of silence settled between us and my father and I just stared at each other as I debated on telling him about my dream or not. It was hard to tell if he might treat me differently or worse if I told him.

"Sweetheart, you can trust me. I won't judge you and if you don't want me to tell your brothers I won't." He smiled reassuringly as I swirled around the ice cream with the spoon, my teeth basically leaving bite marks in the inside of my cheek.

"I know but... it's nothing." I shoved a spoonful of ice cream into my mouth, the taste feeling like a rainbow exploding in my mouth but at the same time I just wanted to spit it out because I felt to insecure. What if I became bloated?