Chapter 12: What Now?

Now that they had finally learnt the truth surrounding how their father escaped human captivity, and more importantly, the tragic circumstances he had to go through before finally meeting them, the looming question remained — what now?

And subsequently, what now with them? What if something like what happened in Mootlakeng? What if they caused—

"So what really happened back there with the rest?" Kakara's question cut suddenly and straight into the brief moment of ease in the room, directing things back to the cycle of recurring tragedies once more.

"Hmm?" Renero looked up at her meekly, his somewhat relaxed posture became much more rigid.

Kakara didn't answer him. She shifted her sharp and cold eyes to the twins, causing them to flinch in unison and remain stiff simultaneously.

"Well, Papa Ren told his story, and Mama told you enough about ours."

She grabbed a nearby stool, picking it up by one of its legs like it weighed absolutely nothing and placed it right in front of them. Close, but not too close that their personal space was infringed. More like close enough to where they could directly feel her intimidating glare. Along with her striking beauty.

"So, tell us yours," she demanded coldly.

The two shrank down even further, lowering their eyes in not being able to maintain eye contact with Kakara. Every now and again they'd try to raise their eyes back up at her, only to falter at her unblinking glare to look away nervously. They'd never seen blue eyes before in their lives, making them a true sight to behold, but also a fearful one by the icy winds she gave off.

Ever since they arrived, it was the only thing they felt from her. There was no inkling of warmth or comfort from Kakara in stark contrast to her mother Minaleese. Despite them looking so similar, they felt so different, like night and day. Where Minaleese welcomed them openly upon first sight, Kakara did not. And it was abundantly clear why.

She sees us as a threat. Genesia and Neosa thought on the same wavelength. She doesn't trust us. She doesn't like us. She doesn't want us here. She doesn't—

"Kakara." Minaleese reached her hand out towards her daughter before being stopped by Neosa, who still had her head bowed down. Kakara's eyes narrowed at the contact.

"It's okay, after all, it's only fair that we do the same too right?" Neosa finally raised her head defiantly to meet Kakara's intense stare.

"Hang on," Renero interrupted, seeing the back and forth stare downs between the two of them. "We just finished with some pretty heavy shit already. You sure you want to—"

"What are you so afraid of?" As though gaining courage from his sister, Genesia raised his head to stare back at Kakara, biting down on his bottom lip nervously.

"What am I afraid of? What am I afraid of?" Kakara repeated. Her eyes flared and her scowl became more pronounced, shooting swords at Genesia for even asking such a superfluous question.

"Were you not paying attention to what they just told you? About what kind of world we live in? About all the dangers we face and endure every fucking day?"

Her raspy voice started to become more malicious by the second like a scalpel that sliced their skin open, revealing their organs. "Like I said, the least I can do is hear what exactly happened back where you came from since it's obviously important to Papa Ren. But most importantly, how it all happened."

Ah, of course. Of course that would be it. Of course that had to be it. And of course it had to be them.

Minaleese glanced over to Renero, seeing his face forming that troubled look from before when he recounted his tragic tale. The very same look that she had become all too accustomed to over the years. The one he'd always try his best to hide from her and Kakara, replacing his expression with arrogant smiles.