The Girl in the Spidersweb (2018)

I knew there was something about the trailer that turned me off. But we gave it a go. And whilst it pains me to feel like a strong-women-in-film-traitor, it just didn't work for me. I know it's not PC to say "sheessh Lisbeth, maybe smile a little" but seriously I'm just not interested in that level of downer. There's enough downer out there in my life already.

And even before she jumped in the Batmobile I was all "I know what this reminds me of, it's got all the self-grandiose seriousness of ye-latter-day-Batman." Her batmobile just sealed the deal. I literally think I could have more fun watching this movie whilst listening to the two-hour loop of the Lego Batman darkness song. Just like the loop, this movie seemed to keep going... and going... and going.

Good bits: There's a lot of snow, a nice car, a motorbike on the ice, a few strong female and mostly lesbian characters, nice clear colour coding of baddies, fairly pretty Swedish Noir look, solid spy-thriller type structure (Bondesque).

Bad bits: It took the whole movie for her to finally burst into the tears that seemed to well up in her face the whole way through. Either she's got resting-cry-face or that's some powerful acting/directing.

In conclusion, overly serious downer-heroes are not my thing be they men or women.

J* gives it 2 stars.

PS. In case you attempt to watch this yourself, here's a handy link to the two-hour loop of the Lego Batman Darkness song. It's here if you need it.

PPS. I just tried out the listening to Lego Batman Darkness technique whilst watching the trailer and it was legit an improvement.