Chapter 63 - Our Great Escape

Gordon

Night was on us. I checked the door, the guards, two new ones, were still there. "We're going to bed now, so, unless it's urgent," I placed the do not disturb hanger on the door handle outside, "do not disturb us. Don't worry about any screaming, that will be my concubine when we get to having sex."

The guards stared blankly back at me, even the sex joke didn't get a smirk out of either of them. Dullards. I went and joined Randi, by a window. She pulled out a tool from her backpack.

"Screen tool, for removing the screen from the window that opens." She announced then used it to remove the screen from the window.

I hoped she wasn't planning what I think she was, and that was using her climbing gear and repelling down, but to where? We were 25 stories up! She didn't have enough rope and we'd be spotted for sure.

She held up another tool. "Window tool for..."

"Yeah, for removing the window. Just what are you planning, we can't make it to the ground, what're you planning on doing? Freefalling the last 10 stories? We're on the 25th story." I argued.

She kept working on the window. "Actually, we're on the 26th story, the gym is on the 25th and the observation deck is technically the 27th. However, five stories below is the maintenance level, equipment level actually. And around that, are large louvered vents. I'm going down to one, kick it in, then you come down and poof, we are free to move about the island."

"No fucking way, Gordon doesn't do heights." I objected.

"Help me with this, it's very heavy." She asked of me as she started pulling the window out.

She moved into the room and started pulling out rope. "Unless you have another way to get out, this is the only way." She stated.

Randi may be right, but repelling down five stories, 26 stories up, was not my bowl of cannabis. There was another reason I wasn't keen on the idea, those louvered vents were steel or aluminum, secured to the building, she wouldn't be able to kick one of those in.

I went over and looked out the window, down the side of the building. I got dizzy just looking. "Randi, I appreciate your enthusiasm and all, but, that's a metal vent, it won't kick in like a wood one, even that would be hard, they are large.

"Got it covered." She replied.

When I looked back, I couldn't even tell where the vent was, she had a line secured and her harness on. I had two options, flat out stop her or let her go down and when she failed, which she would, climb back up. I didn't want her to risk it.

"Randi, forget it alright. Put the window and screen back, we'll figure something..." She charged for the window and literally dove out.

I ran to the window as the rope went taunt. I could barely see her handing on the wall, it looked like she was going down. I saw her kick out from the wall then she disappeared.

"Gordon, yo, Gordon." I heard from someplace in the room. Randi called again and I found the radio, next to another harness and helmet.

I picked up the radio. "Randi, are you alright?"

"Yeah, fine. Get your harness on and come on down. I'll tell you what to do, just be careful, okay?" She said.

"Yeah, shit, I hate heights." I replied.

"You'll do fine, you've been teaching me stuff, my turn to teach you." She radioed back.

I put on the harness and clipped on then I climbed to the ledge of the window, no way was I diving off like Randi had. "Coming down." I radioed.