Chapter 64 - Man Of Action

Man Of Action

Gordon

"I am very sorry for Colonel Quixley's actions, but I do hope you can understand his concerns." The Major General said to us as we sat together in the restaurant of the hotel while our door was repaired.

When I'd said I wanted to speak with Colonel Quixley's superior, I expected to do so over the phone, not in person. I was unaware at the time that the Major General had left Rhode Island and flown here after the escape of Geoffrey and Petunia to oversee the operation.

"I assure you General, I followed protocol, everything was by the book. We had to get judicial approval to cut the bar lock and enter the room. We'd just received that and were on our way to their door with a reciprocating saw to cut the lock when the guards heard miss Butterfield screaming. As procedure requires, we had brought the battering ram with us. I can not apologize enough for what happened. I'm just glad they are alright, General sir." Quixley stated.

The Major General nodded.

"General, we do understand, and had there been trouble," I looked over at Randi with a solemn face, "Colonel Quixley would've saved us. I guess after what happened, we should be thankful for his protection." I said. "It was just a... um... doing what we were doing, I... it was a bit unnerving."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry I made you think we were in trouble." Randi added.

We both wanted out from the I.I.D. as soon as possible. Sitting in front of two of the best people in the I.I.D. wasn't high on either of our lists.

"You have nothing to apologize for miss Butterfield, I assure you disciplinary action will be taken." The General said then looked at Colonel Quixley whom developed a nervous look to his face.

I knew the ass chewing Quixley was getting wasn't real. He'd followed protocol to the letter, they were just putting on a good show for us, and the news media. What had me worried the most was my face. I could feel the adhesive starting to let go in places. I needed to fix my face soon or there would be a lot more questions than I could answer.

"Excuse me, can I use the restroom?" Randi asked looking between the General and the Colonel.

Quixley looked at the General whom nodded. "Yes miss Butterfield, of course. I'll have one of my female agents go with you."

"Colonel Quixley, I think the girl can handle going to the bathroom by herself." The Major General stated then motioned at Randi with a hand for her to go, go.

While Randi was gone, which was taking longer than I expected but I kept that under my hat, the dog and pony show continued with the General and Colonel. As much as I tried to assure them I accepted their apologies and understood the necessity of the actions taken, they still tried to explain. I felt like they were delaying for some reason. Were they possibly going through our belongings in our room?

Randi returned and sat back down.

"Not to be rude, but can we get back to our room? I really have no problem waiting there while the repairs are being made." I stated.

The General and the Colonel exchanged a look. The Colonel spoke. "I'll check on their progress."

It wasn't but a minute later, he called us over to where he was. "They just finished the repairs. They had to put some plaster on one part of the wall, it isn't dry or painted yet. I hope that's alright."

"Fine, we just want to get back to our room." I told him.

About that time, another agent came up and took the Colonel off to the side and whispered to him and handed him a piece of paper. Though he hid it well, I could tell by his body language he'd become excited. He went over to the General and spoke with him for a moment, then he returned to us.