Chapter 69

Nells

We arrived at the building Holland had arranged for us to stay at. One small detail he left out, someplace to park the Studebaker. In this neighborhood, I wasn't about to leave it parked outside. I didn't feel right contacting him right away when we arrived; I decided I'd look around before we called. If there was a secure rental garage nearby, we might use that.

"Hmm, this place is rather... depressing." Lydia commented as we pulled in.

I'd have to agree with that. It didn't look like anyone had been here in a decade. The weeds had taken over most of what had been the parking lot, and the metal panels that covered the windows were oxidized or rusted, some, both.

"I suppose we should get out and check it out." I said.

We got out cautiously. Who knows whom might be lurking nearby. After surveying the outside, it didn't look like any vagrants had broken in, or that they could if they wanted to, the building was fairly secured. After I removed the keys from my pocket, I looked at them. We walked up the short steps where a door should be, but there wasn't any knob or even a key slot. I may be calling Holland soon anyways. Could this be a setup because I didn't do Lydia like he and Zandie wanted?

I pushed that thought from my brain, even my little voice said that was a silly idea. I must be missing something; Holland wouldn't have sent us out here, without instructions unless he thought we'd figure things out on our own.

Where the door would normally be, was just a metal plate. There wasn't anything on either side of it. Before calling Holland, I decided we'd take another look around the building. Lydia wasn't to keen on this because she wasn't exactly dressed for walking through the grownup weeds around the place. Again we found nothing. No other doors, what should've been widows were high above our heads and sealed with the same metal plates.

"Guess it's time to make a call. I see no way in, there isn't a keyhole anyplace." I said aloud as we stood on the ground near where the small steps were.

"You really think Holland Fuzzy would've given us keys to something unless they would actually work? We've got to be missing something." Lydia replied.

I handed the keys to her. "Here, see if you can figure this enigma out, I sure the fuck can't. I'm going to load the chillum while you try to figure this mess out."

I went to the Studebaker, opened the door and retrieved my pouch of cannabis and my chillum then started packing cannabis into it. I watched Lydia as I worked. She took each key and looked it over closely. She wandered around the front of the building, looking at the door or other places as she flipped through the four keys and one card.

After some time, she turned around and looked behind where I was then started walking that way. I tried to hand her the chillum as she passed by me, she held up a palm at me and shook her head. I started to watch her with interest now, had she solved our dilemma?

Behind us was a three story building with two open stalls on one end at ground level on the front of the single story part of the building that extended from the main building that may have had garage doors on them like enclosed loading bays would've had, but now they were wide open and filled with refuse. Lydia looked around the front of the building eventually going into the two open stalls. She must've seen something because she started moving old cardboard boxes and other debris near the inside wall that was one of the walls of the actual small building.

Stepping over some so I could see better, I saw what she'd seen and was trying to get at. There was a small box that protruded from the wall about two or three centimeters that was the same size as what an outlet or light switch box would be. It was above her head, but within her reach. She selected one of the keys after inspecting it the best she could and put it into the box and turned it. There had to be a keyed switch in the box. Nothing happened and she removed the key.