|40|

[ S a k u s a ]

Sitting by Atsumu's bed, I grab his hand and stroke his knuckles with the pads of my thumbs. The subtle beeping of the heart machine is heard in the background, giving me slight relief that he's still alive. Kita killed himself after shooting Atsumu in the chest because he wanted to kill himself instead of me doing him the favor just to piss me off. Though, doctors don't know whether or not he's going to make it. I'm praying to god that he does because I can't live a good life without him. Right now, he's just sleeping.

When he is awake, he looks so... dead inside. Like he's almost about to give up but he knows he has to fight, he's just really tired and can't hold on for much longer.

Hearing someone open the door, I look over and frown at the man walking over with two nurses behind him. "I got some great news." He states happily, tears welling in my eyes as I make a gesture with my hand to tell him to continue. "He's going to make a full recovery. He's just too exhausted right now to fight it off, but with the medications, we're giving him, he'll pull through." The man says as I slap a hand over my mouth and let out a soft cry. "He should be ready to go in a few weeks."

"Thank you so much," I mumble loud enough for him to hear. He smiles at me with a gentle nod before exiting the room. One of the nurses stays behind to deal refill the IV bag.

"He was awake a few hours ago when you were downstairs in the cafeteria with your friends and family. He's such a sweet boy... It's hard to think someone like him could be in such rough shape. What happened to the guy that shot him?" The woman asks softly, glancing at me.

"Two men shot him. A former friend of mine shot him first in the stomach and then my enemy shot him again, but this time, in the chest. The friend was killed but my enemy shot himself in the head before I had the chance to... erm... kill him." I state quietly.

"Let me guess, you're in bad business and Atsumu got caught in the crossfire?"

"Basically... yes. I was in a coma for 8 months and missed our daughter's birth. With that and him getting shot, that took a toll on me mentally, but at least he's going to make it."

"Do you think the worst is over?"

"For the most part, yes. There are still people out there who want him dead, but given the fact that he's pulled through literal hell, I doubt anyone will succeed." I state quietly, staring at my lover while he sleeps somewhat peacefully. He's so beautiful, I really hit the jackpot with him. I hate myself for believing those horrid lies, but I've grown to realize that he's everything you want in a person. Sweet, kind, gentle, loving, funny, all the great things.

"He's strong, very much so." The woman responds with a smile as my fiance slowly opens his eyes. "Well, hello there, dear." She says sweetly, smiling down at him as he looks around nervously.

"You're alright, love. I'm here." I say softly, leaning forward to kiss him on the forehead. He smiles at me weakly, leaning into my touch after I place my hand on his cheek. "The doctor said that you're going to make it," I state, tears welling in my eyes once again.

"I'm glad..." He mumbles.

It's been about a week and Atsumu has been released from the hospital. He's been dying to see Akari, had a few panic attacks when in the hospital because of separation anxiety. But now they'll be reunited, along with Mei's baby. He treats her as his own as well, but the connection between him and Akari is different. (I can't for the life of me remember the baby's name. So I'm naming it Himari x.x)

Stepping inside the house, Atsumu dashes into the living room where the others are located. "Take it easy, Atsu," I demand, closing the door and locking it before following him. Stepping into the living room, Oikawa hands Akari over to him with a smile on his face. The faux blonde holds her close to him and presses a gentle kiss on her forehead.

This is what I live for. Seeing my two favorite beings in one place. Of course, I love Himari, but it's just... She doesn't feel like mine. I'll get a DNA test done to see if she actually is mine because I'm doubting it. But if she is mine, then great. I just hope Atsumu treats her the way he treats Akari.

"You look content, Kiyo. Are you happy?" Rei asks, smiling at me while she holds Himari.

"Very happy," I mumble, walking up behind Atsumu and wrapping my arms around his waist. "Can we get some alone time, my love?" I whisper into his ear, causing him to shiver before nodding and handing Akari back over to Oikawa. Grabbing his hand, I guide him up the stairs to our room.

"What's up?" He asks curiously, sitting at the edge of the bed while looking up at me.

"I'm sorry for how things started out and how you were caught in the crossfire of the family business. I hate how I acted toward you back when we all believed those horrid lies. Something didn't feel right to me but I just acted how everyone else did... hating you and calling you names. When we got closer, I realized how lovable you truly are and how shy and timid you are. You were just a lost soul searching for somebody who would love you... You shouldn't have picked me, Atsu, you shouldn't have. But at the same time, I'm glad you did." I say, shaking my head and laughing lightly with my hands stuffed in the pockets of my black jeans.

"Omi, I'm glad it happened... Who knows where we would be now if that wasn't the case. And out of everyone in this world, I chose you to love... and I chose you to trust. Yes, we've been through a lot between ourselves and others like Kita, but I trusted you with my life, and I still do." The faux blonde mumbles, standing up and walking up to me. "I'm practically married to you... and I wouldn't change that for anything."

Smiling subtly, I bend down and kiss him gingerly. He kisses back just as softly, grabbing my shirt and pulling me closer.

"I love you, Atsumu," I mumble.

"I love you too, Omi."

Fin.

A/N: AHHHHHH I'm crying! I've had so much fun writing this story, and I know it's not the best, but holy cow, I'm so thankful for everyone who has stuck around since the beginning of this story. Every comment and vote means a lot to me, it helped me pull through those difficult points in the time I've been writing this. And I swear- I was so close to giving up on the story halfway through, but I pulled through anyway! And yes, I'm sorry this chapter is shorter... I couldn't really come up with anything else that would push it out a bit more.

But anyway! Stay tuned for another SakuAtsu story because I've been on a SakuAtsu writing binge for a while now.

Thank you for reading Devil's Heat ^-^

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐃𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐥'𝐬 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐭 [𝐒𝐚𝐤𝐮𝐀𝐭𝐬𝐮; 𝐂𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐞 𝐀𝐔] 🎉