XVII

Kat

I feel so bad for hiding it.

I guess it's easy to say I've moved on from Peter, only because I've had the time to.

A year and six months ago

"Kat, please, just go and find someone else. You have six months and I don't want you to be alone when I go!" Peter argues. We've just found out he has cancer and has six months left.

"No! I won't do it. You are my husband and I won't just leave you!" I try.

"Then I want a divorce. If its because you are married to me then we can fix that, please Kat. Just find someone else. You deserve to have the romance you desire, even if it's more than we had."

"Peter, don't do this. I love you!" I cried.

"And you can still love me right up until I die. But I just want someone to pick you up when I inevitably leave you."

I'm just left there, heartbroken, confused, hurt and unimaginably dumbfounded.

"Please, Kat? For me?"

And I did find someone. But he never met them. He never knew them. Is it wrong that I love them more than I ever loved him?

The thing is, Kate doesn't know I'm in another relationship. She didn't even know about the divorce. Yes, he actually went through with it.

I'm wondering if he thought that if he could convince me to find someone new, then he could convince Kate too, but she didn't budge, whereas I did.

I sit in this small café waiting for my partner. Sipping on my coffee. Kate showed me this place actually, and I always sit at the same spot, everytime without fail.

"Hey, babe. You okay?" I feel a kiss on my head as she sits in front of me.

"Yeah, I'm okay. I would like to see you more than I do." I flirt.

"Oh, Kat. You're always such a flirt. But I missed you. How come you asked to speak to me?" I am questioned.

"I think it's about time you met my family. Today." I tell her.

"Really? I mean, I'd love to. But what about Aiden?"

Aiden is my girlfriend's son. He's the same age as Kate, and they go to the same school. I met Abbey during a parent teacher conference, I am Aiden's teacher. And Aiden is not in any of Kate's classes either, except for PE.

"Aiden could come along."

"He doesn't know we're together, so it'll be a surprise for him, too." Abbey cringes.

"It'll be okay. My kids are pretty calm and I doubt they'll kick off. So we have nothing to worry about there."

"Yeah, I'm going to get a drink. Do you want another one?"

"Yes, please." I smile as she kisses my lips. She leaves to go and get the coffees and I am left wondering how I want to tell Kate. I know that I want it to happen today. Just how?

"Alright, two lattes with milk and sugar!" Abbey announces, bringing the drinks to the table.

"Thank you, darling." I grin at her.

"You're welcome, babe." she grins back, sitting in front of me again.

"I'm just going to text my daughter, if that's alright? I just want to make sure she has no plans before you come over." I ask.

"Yes, of course! I need to talk to Aiden actually. I'll just say that we're going to someone's house." she shrugs.

I nod and pull out my phone, getting ready to text Kate.