chapter 1

Friday, 21 September.

I'm writing my last preliminary examination paper today, which is economics so here I am, getting woken up by this tiny but gorgeous woman I call my mother.

Mom: wake up, JJ.
Me: I'm up, mama.
Mom: no, you're not so get up. it's your last paper, my Junior bear so please.
Me: okay, alright.

I get up from the bed and she leaves my room. I get into my bathroom and take a quick shower before wearing my uniform. Of course, I have to put the matric jacket on because we have got to represent.

I fix up my taper fade before grabbing my car keys. Yes, MY car keys.

I run downstairs and make some cereal. After having my cereal, I grab an apple and a bottle of water. I then grab my very much organised school bag before walking towards the door but a voice that's calling out to me stops me.

Mom: did you make your bed, Ntsikelelo Junior?
Me: no but I have a super mama that will most definitely do it for me.
Mom: ugh, whatever. please go with your brother?
Me: come on ,mama?
Mom: I have things to do, Junior.
Me: but so do I, ma.
Mom: Junior, don't make me mad.
Nkosi: yeah don't make her mad.
Mom: hush, Nkosingphile.
Me: let's go, Nkosi.

He grabs his bag and off we go. Mom escorts us out and gives us pecks on the cheeks before letting us go. We get in the car and I start it.

Me: where is Nsizwa?
Nkosi: he's sick so he's not going to school today.

My little brother is always sick. Nsizwa's real name is Thabani. Nsizwa is 14 years old and we thought he would be the last child that my mom had but no. Anyway, she had another one. She is a girl and her name is Siyamthanda Dlamini. She is 4 years old and she is the only girl.

Me: okay.

I drive out and we head straight to school while vibing to some good music.

We arrive at school 15 minutes later and he heads to his friends and I go to mine.

I go to the matric quad where I see my closest boys, Thulani and Lwazibanzi.

Thulani: ah my boy!
Me: what's going on, boyzin?
Lwazi: ah we're steady chilling, my boy.

This gorgeous girl walks past the matric quad and the attention goes off from my boys and straight to her. Everything moves in slow motion in that moment.

She's light, short and has curves. She has knotless braids and she's wearing grade 11 uniform so I assume she's one.

Lwazi: Junior!

He says patting my chest.

Me: yes?
Lwazi: where's your head at, dawg?
Me: I'm here, dude.
Lwazi: are we still doing that 'pens down' party at your house?
Me: not at my house, I am booking a venue where we can do it.
Thulani: it's about to be crazy, boys!
Me: yeah I know, boyzin.

We share a handshake after I say that.

Me: now, let's go write our last paper and put it behind us.

We then head to the allocated examination venue where we write our paper.

After our paper, we wait outside by my car and my girlfriend, Dineo comes up to us.

Dee: hey boys.

She says greeting my boys.

The boys: hey.

She comes to me and gives me a kiss while I hold her waist.

Dee: hey you.
Me: Fede.
Dee: how was your paper?
Me: it was smooth, baby girl.
Dee: so baby, I was thinking that like you send me money to buy an outfit for your party.
Me: what party?
Dee: pens down.
Me: oh and who invited you?

The boys giggle at that.

Dee: I'm your girlfriend so I'm invited to everything you host.
Me: oh really now?
Dee: yes so are you going to send it?
Me: please remind me of who doesn't have an outfit.
Dee: me.
Me: so that's a YOU problem, baby girl. figure yourself out. let's go, boys. I don't really verstaan golddiggers.

We get in the car and off we go.

Thulani: ah boy, that was harsh.
Me: I'm not her bank though.
Lwazi: hectic.

I drop them off at their houses and then I drive home by myself. I get home and find my mom sitting in the living room eating a sandwich and watching 'Love Island' while Siyamthanda is sitting next to her and watching 'Cocomelon' on her iPad.

I walk up to them both and give my mom a peck on the cheek before picking up my Siya and placing her on my lap.

Mom: how was your paper?
Me: not bad.
Siya: JJ?

She says patting my chest.

Me: yes, my baby?
Siya: mommy say "paper"

She says then throws her head back laughing. I don't know why she finds the most random words funny but she really does.

Me: yeah, paper.
Mom: where is my son?
Me: he is at school.
Mom: why did you leave my baby, Junior?
Me: mama, you can fetch him though.
Mom: weren't you already at school?
Me: I was.
Mom: so what's your problem?
Me: ah mama...
Mom: I'm just asking, who do you think is going to fetch my child?
Me: I'm starting to think you shouldn't have bought me a car.

I whisper underneath my breath but she hears it either way.

Mom: I'm sorry, what?!
Me: nothing. mama, dad can fetch him.
Dad: dad can what?

My dad says walking in with his briefcase and looking all serious in one of his one million suits.

Me: you can fetch Nkosingphile.
Dad: no, whose duty was it.
Mom: his!

She says pointing at me.

Dad: get up and fetch your brother.

He says as he takes Siyamthanda from my lap onto his.

Me: but dad...
Dad: school is out now, please fetch my son.

I get up and get in my car. I then check the coast before rolling my eyes, I'd never disrespect them in front of their faces.

I then drive out and press the remote before driving out to fetch my brother.

My parents really drain me because they could have asked one of the guards to fetch Nkosingphile but no, Junior must always suffer. Always!

I have this rant all the way back to school. When I get to school, I see him standing outside with a girl making her laugh an all.

I then hit my hooter multiple times as I see him lean in for a kiss and the girl grab his shirt in the moment.

I press my hooter which startles them both. He then says goodbye to her, give her a kiss and runs to the car.

Me: I'm telling on you.

I say as he gets in.

Nkosi: I also have dirt on you, dude.
Me: mxm, whatever.

We get back home and I head upstairs to check on Nsizwa. I first change into a comfortable and oversized tracksuit and then I head to his room where I find him covering even his head with his blankets.

Me: awww my baby.

My other two siblings come in, Nkosingphile already in his pajamas and we all cuddle in Nsizwa's bed. We're probably going to get whatever he has but who cares?