chapter 3

Sunday, 23 September

I'm woken up by a call and I answer without checking the caller ID.

Mom: Junior! JUNIOR! You better come back to this house this very minute, no child of mine misses church and gets away with it.

I missed my alarm. What time is it?! I check my phone and see that it's already 11:00 so church ended an hour ago.

Me: I'm so sorry, ma.
Mom: sorry my foot! I want you in this house, now.

She clicks her tongue and ends the call. Oh, I'm in the deepest trouble.

I head downstairs to check out and then I request a ride. I then notify my friends about 12:00 being the check out time.

I decide to call my dad on my way.

Dad: son?
Me: dad, what's going on there?
Dad: I don't know, I just left the house and your mom is red.

My mom's face turns red when she's mad so that's our code word for when she is absolutely livid.

Dad: so you better have your story straight.
Me: I didn't even shower.
Dad: well, don't involve me. I know nothing.
Me: dad?
Dad: what? you knew we had church today and we never miss church.

I take a deep breath and my dad laughs before ending the call. I decide to ask the drive to make two stops from Woolworth to my house.

That way, I'll be able to buy her some flowers and her favorite chocolates.

I get to Woolworth and buy these two things and then I head to the house. The moment I walk into the kitchen, I'm met with a very red in the face Uyathandwa Dlamini.

Me: hey ma.

I give her a kiss on the cheek and she looks away. She's really upset with me and it hurts.

I decide to leave the flowers and chocolates on the kitchen counter where and I walk up to my room.

I go into my bathroom and take a shower. I then wear some black basketball shorts and a black vest. I wear these with some socks and no shoes.

She walks into my room an hour later.

Mom: please come here.

I follow her out and she leads me to the V-Class where my siblings are already seated and Siyamthanda is sleeping in her car seat.

Me: where are we going?

She just hands me the car keys and signs for me to get in the car and drive. She gets in the passenger seat and I get into the driver's seat.

I then start the car and we go. She shows me where we are headed and it seems like this is a doctors office.

After a 30 minutes of driving, we arrive at the doctor's office. I park in the parking lot next to a car that looks familiar. After parking, my dad comes out of the familiar car.

Me: what's going on here?
Dad: didn't your mom tell you?
Me: I wish, she's giving me the silent treatment.
Dad: take the kids out of the car.

I get my siblings out and I take Siyamthanda into my arms, with her blanket.

We then head inside where we are directed to sit in the waiting room and my parents go inside.

After a while of sitting in the waiting room, my dad comes out to call me.

Dad: your mom wants you by her side.

He then takes Siyamthanda and directs me to the room I should go into. I go inside this dark room and as I close the door, I'm met with a smiling doctor and tears on my mother's face.

I run to her side and hold her hand. I look around the room and the screen catches my eye.

Me: mom, is that...

She nods and pecks my knuckles.

Mom: it's a baby.
Me: again, mama?

She laughs hysterically and so does the doctor.

Me: hai mama, you are old.
Mom: I'm 38, you big headed dumbo.
Me: and that's not old?

I say with furrowed eyebrows because I'm so confused and she slaps my head.

Mom: shut up.
Me: I'm happy for you.

The doctor hands us some sonograms and we head out together, with my mother's tiny self standing next to me, making her look like a child.

We get in the cars we arrived in and we go back home. As we are having dinner, I feel my chest burn because I can't hold it in anymore.

Me: Sibalukhulu, you have been busy with my mother?
Dad: haibo, your mother is my woman.
Nkosi: well, she's our mother before she's your woman.
Me: exactly and who gave you the right to give her another child?
Dad: haibo?!
Nkosi: mama is having a baby?
Mom: yes, my baby.
Nkosi: mama, you don't fear anything? you are not afraid of anything?
Me: clearly, I mean she's having another one.
Nkosi: as old as you are?
Dad: you guys are getting cocky now.
Me: look who's talking!

I exclaim as I raise my hands up and my dad chases us around the table with a dishcloth.

Mom: don't hit my kids! yey!

Nkosi and I plead with him as we laugh our bums off. He stops and he shakes his head before throwing it at me.